Lee's Powder Handling Tools

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lee's Powder Handling Tools

Post by Ranch Dog »

.Dirty-.Thirty wrote:R-D, do you have several different powder throwers and leave 'em set or adjust it each time to your needs? Load many handgun rounds? Thanks .DT

Edit: I also see R-D, looks like you have a Auto Disk measure setup on your Turret, I have the 4 hole Turret and am wondering your thoughts on this thrower and any advice on it?
I use a single Perfect Powder Measure for my long rifle cartridges. For my short cartridge rifles (Marlin 1894s and Rossi R92s), I use an Auto Disk with an Adjustable Charge Bar . For use when needed, I also have an Auto Disk Pro setup with a Double Disk. Once I get a long rifle cartridge set up with a load I like, I try to move it to the Auto Disk Pro with the Double Disk so that the powder dispensing is done right on the press. If possible, I try to adjust the load to something that fits two fixed cavities disks stacked together. If the double disk isn't a very near or an exact match, I stack a fixed cavity disk with the the Adjustable Charge Bar.

As far as handguns go, I try to stick with using the Auto Disk with a single fixed cavity. I have one Auto Disk setup with the Micro Disk (no longer made), this disk has four very small cavities for cartridges like the 25 and 32 ACP. My three Load Masters use the Auto DIsk Pros with a single fixed cavity.

The difference between the Auto Disk and the Auto Disk Pro is that the Pro has a cut off that is actuated by rotating the powder hopper a quarter of a turn. Because of the Hopper shut off, the Hopper can be removed from the Auto Disk Body with powder in the Hopper. Despite this shut off feature, I actually prefer the standard Auto Disk as it is a bit more compact in size and seems to be a better fit on the rotating head of the turret press. On each Auto Disk, I have replaced the Actuator (AD2306) with a Swivel Adapter (90477). This allows the Hopper to be removed without removing the entire Auto Disk Body from the Powder Through Expander Die or the Rifle Charging Die (90194).

The Powder Through Expander Die is included with the Pistol Die Sets and straight wall cartridge sets like the 38-55 Win, 444 Marlin, and 45-70. Other rifle cartridges, like the 30-30 Win or bottleneck cartridges, need the separate Rifle Charge Die if the Auto Disk is going to be used.

So here is the total count of the Lee powder dispensers I own:
  • 1 - Perfect Powder Measure
  • 3 - Auto Disk (one each set up with the Micro Disk, standard Disk, and Adjustable Charge Bar)
  • 4 - Auto Disk Pro (one on each Load Master and one set up with a Double Disk for use on the turret press)
[hr][/hr]
The key to using the Lee Powder Handling tools is first determining the actual VDM of a specific powder along with the specific cubic centimeter used and the specific powder handling tool used. These steps will ensure a quick set up and accuracy at the drop without any fiddling.

The SAAMI spec for each powder allows the manufactured specific gravity to vary something like 16% between lots. This variation doesn't change the combustion characteristics of a given weight charge but it does change the volume. This is why individuals who use the VDMs on Lee's VDM list see weight differences at the drop. Lee's list is determined from the spec but the spec has a large allowable variation. Once a VDM has been determined, the use of cubic centimeters to determine a charge is extremely accurate.

To determine the VDM of a powder I simply take ten drops, metered through an appropriate sized device, and weigh it. The average charge weight would be the total weight divided by ten. Then I take cubic centimeters I used to drop the charge and divide it by average charge weight. The result is the powders actual VDM, I write it on the powder canister.

In selecting the device I use to drop the powder for determining the VDM, I use what is appropriate. For an example with H322, a rifle powder, I would use the Perfect Powder Measure set at 2.50 cc. Another example would be with a pistol powder like Universal, I would use the .30 fixed cavity on the Auto Disk. It would be also important to allow the turret to rotate through each station between each drop as that is what makes the Auto Disk consistent.

Speaking of consistent, I would never drop a charge with the Auto Disk without the turret cycling through each station and I would not use the Auto Disk with a single stack press. The Hopper is not going to be able to properly fill the cavity without the movement. On the Load Masters, the dies and Auto Disk does not move, but there is a consistent motion transmitted up through the press with each stroke of the ram and indexing of the shell plate to provide the vibration needed to fill the cubic centimeter cavity.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lee's Powder Handling Tools

Post by Ranch Dog »

As a side note, I have actually quite an accumulation of Lee tools from unexpected source. When someone is %@*&$ about any of the Lee components I will offer to buy them at a rate that is favorable to me, someone who knows how to use them. I slowly put together a complete bench of tools. I'm around a bunch of young fellows that are gaining an interest in this stuff and I do not hesitate to give them a start and teach them how to use the tools.
I've started a lot of red adorned benches +guns
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Though I'm new to reloading (2 years now) I'm a real fan of Lee's equipment because it works and at a reasonable price also. I started my Brother In Law out with a Lee single stage press and 4 sets of dies last Christmas. He is now reloading 2 rifle calibers and 2 pistol calibers.

As for powder measures as Michael knows, I not only use his program for it, I have even set up the Lee Pro Disk measure to handle 3 disks. I recently got a Lee Perfect Powder Measure for the stick powder stuff I use in my 45-70. I remove the indexing from my Lee Classic Turret and size prime on the press. I then expand the brass followed by powder with the powder measure mounted on a Lee Powder through die as shown. The mount is shown also below and is made by http://store.gun-guides.com/Perfect-Adapters-_c_12.html The rest are quick shots of my loading area in a bedroom with a bath in my apartment.
IMG_1046_SM.jpg
IMG_1047_SM.jpg
tpa Powder adapter for Lee Dies with PPM.jpg
IMG_0367_sm.jpg
IMG_1050_SM.jpg
IMG_1051_SM.jpg
IMG_1054_SM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice reloading room Joe and thanks for the reminder. I had meant to purchase the TPA for the Perfect Powder Measure and never got around to it. Just took care of it!

I checked the items I have in storage and I did have a extra PPM that I can dedicate to this adapter.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have another domain, lee-loader.com, which is a forum similar to this one but features the Lee Product line in place of the Rossi. In that I've stayed busy with this and other endeavors, I have never turned it on. Maybe I will later this summer.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I forgot one picture of the actual bench, DUH.
IMG_1053_SM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I have 2 Lee reloading presses which load the 2 or 3 hundred cartridges I might load for myself and a coupla select friends in a year.
My nephew was wanting to get into reloading about 4 years ago so I gave him my RCBS "Rockchucker" press plus a Lee hand primer and a few accessories to get him started.
The 2 Lee presses are adequate for my needs.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That's the way to do it. Pass it on! The same was done for me many years ago now.
Michael
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Ranch Dog wrote:I have another domain, lee-loader.com, which is a forum similar to this one but features the Lee Product line in place of the Rossi. In that I've stayed busy with this and other endeavors, I have never turned it on. Maybe I will later this summer.
Just let me know when you turn it on and I'll be there.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

44-40 Willy wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:I have another domain, lee-loader.com, which is a forum similar to this one but features the Lee Product line in place of the Rossi. In that I've stayed busy with this and other endeavors, I have never turned it on. Maybe I will later this summer.
Just let me know when you turn it on and I'll be there.
When I think of Lee & Rossi I automatically think the phrase "lots of bang for the buck".

All the reloading equipment I have left except for the fully automated RCBS Charge Master 1500 & the RCBS multi-station case preparation device which I have become spoiled on (no more manual scale weighing and volumetric charge guesstimator- thrower adjusting problems for me !) and won't do without is Lee brand. I want my charges exact & fast & that means the 1500 is sticking around.

Time to engage lee-loader.com......."warp factor 1 Mr. Zulu". :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA