Why replace the ejector spring?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
lago

Why replace the ejector spring?

Post by lago »

I am new to the forum and to a Rossi 357mag. I have been reading some of the posts about replacing or modifying the ejector spring but haven't seen a reason for it. Is it because it throws the shell too far? Can't be any worse than my mini-14 which threw them 30' away until I replaced the gas bushing. I haven't shot the Rossi enough in the open to see how far they eject.

Lago
jinshot

Re: Why replace the ejector spring?

Post by jinshot »

hi,
i changed it on mine. it was ejecting a bit far (over shoulder wehn racked hard), now it falls at my feet. i think it s just a matter of personal pref. i shoot at a range who s a bit crowded so i dont want to look for the cases all over and people to step on it, so it s better but otherway was fine too, for me at least.
please forgive and correct my english :) frogeater here!

Rossi 92 44 mag 24 inch barrel
Rossi Coach gun 12g
Fullthrottle

Post by Fullthrottle »

lago, the only reason I am aware of is just what jinshot stated, to keep the brass close to the shooter. I have done a few mods to my rifle but not the ejector spring. I am going to wait a bit and get a good number of rounds through the rifle to decide if I feel it is nesassary. I want the brass a bit closer to me but some folks have had this happen in time, without the replacement spring.
Wills Point Pete

Post by Wills Point Pete »

By lightening the ejector spring the lever closes a little easier. This is pretty unimportant except for speed games such as Cowboy Action. When I cut my spring down a tad it cut my time on a ten shot string by a little less than half a second on big, close targets. After moving the targets out some that speed advantage was lessened and, past about seventy-five yards, lost because of the added time spent in aiming. The main downside is that if one cuts the spring too much, we don't have clean ejection. Also, the rifle will gradually wear itself in to where the brass doesn't fly so far. And, after around three years of competition I had to replace that spring. Of course three years of completion and practice adds up to more than a lifetime of shooting for a hunting rifle.
BeerHunter

Post by BeerHunter »

jinshot wrote:hi,
i changed it on mine. it was ejecting a bit far (over shoulder wehn racked hard), now it falls at my feet. i think it s just a matter of personal pref. i shoot at a range who s a bit crowded so i dont want to look for the cases all over and people to step on it, so it s better but otherway was fine too, for me at least.
What parts did you use to change your spring? Or did you just modify the one that came with the rifle?
NRA-RSO, SAF, GOA, MSI, MSRPA, SLSC
FFL 03, MD Designated Regulated Firearms Collector

Love My RG4570S but until Braztech revises their "restricted" parts list, I'll not buy another or recommend the brand to anyone else.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I did mine and used the spring from steves guns I did it because my brass was going into orbit and could not be found. I reload so my brass is precious to me. It now lands at my feet. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

akuser47 wrote:I did mine and used the spring from steves guns I did it because my brass was going into orbit and could not be found. I reload so my brass is precious to me. It now lands at my feet. +corn
I'm with you on how precious spent brass is to a reloader. Though I have the Steves Gunz spring I used the Gunslinger set from Brownells instead of the SG springs. I just had a set someone gave me right after I bought the gun. It really is pretty much the same though in strength dropping my spent cases either at my feel or if wearing a brimmed hat on the brim.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:I did mine and used the spring from steves guns I did it because my brass was going into orbit and could not be found. I reload so my brass is precious to me. It now lands at my feet. +corn
And the energy to make the brass fly so far comes from somewhere.
That somewhere is a harder stroke of the finger lever during cycling & thus a less smooth cycling process. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

pricedo wrote:
And the energy to make the brass fly so far comes from somewhere.
That somewhere is a harder stroke of the finger lever during cycling & thus a less smooth cycling process. :mrgreen:
My first outing with here at the range I assumed this as well so I slowed down and worked her slowley and still had empty brass going 8 to 13 feet out to the right side. It was a big reason for me doing the tune up.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
a__l__a__n

Post by a__l__a__n »

On my first trip to the indoor range with my Interarms Rossi 92, it threw the first few empties so far that I was spending more time retrieving brass than shooting. (I reload so I *need* my brass!) To solve the problem that day, I threw a sock over the top to catch the empties, and picked them out of the action by hand. But that just won't do for long term with a lever gun!

After replacing the spring, the empty pops up a few inches and drops. I can actually aim the empties right into my range bag as I eject. Twice the target practice, twice the fun! :D
Well, if it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot.