New 92 Range Report

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
JimB120

New 92 Range Report

Post by JimB120 »

I've wanted a 38/357 lever gun for a long time. I have a Golden Boy in .22 and had my eye on the Rossi 92 for several years.

I had read quite a few horror stories about fit, finish, stiff action, bad trigger, ammo cycling problems, bad furniture, so while I had loaded several into shopping carts over the years I had never pulled the trigger.

I found one on line recently at what I considered a good price, so I finally dove in. While it was shipping across country I went shopping for sights, springs, Steve's trigger guide, TruOil and sandpaper preparing to do some work to get the gun to run.

Picked it up Saturday and took it home for a CLP bath, and spent some time over the weekend just cycling the action. Finally had a chance to get to the range over lunch. Loaded 5 Freedom Ammunition 38 Special FMJ, and cranked one into the chamber. It jammed against the top of the bore. :o

I backed it off a bit and tried again and it glided into the chamber. Ran a couple off to get used to the feel of where they would land. Once I was satisfied with a sight picture I cranked one off, and it hit dead center at 30 yards. Tried another 5 rounds, this time Bitteroot Valley Ammo Company 38 LSW. Laid down two 1" groups at different spots on the target. On to some Blazer JHP .357 I had in the bag. First two landed about 3" low of POA, so I adjusted my hold a bit and put one right on the nose.

Bottom line, I think I got a good one. Accurate as I can make it right out of the box, the trigger is crisp, and while I have not guaged it yet, not overly heavy. I plan to leave the sights, although I may eventually go to the Marbles Bullseye rear, I'm happy with the front. The spring kit might come later, but isn't a necessity either. The fit and finish were nice, but the orange stain has got to go. (it can't all be good). I think I'll try the TruOil rub over the existing stain, and can always do a complete refinishing later.

Just wish I hadn't waited so long, but I couldn't be more pleased! 8-)

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: New 92 Range Report

Post by pricedo »

Let the bells ring out & the banners fly. +guns
Methinks you got a good one.........congrats.
Maybe it's time to buy a lottery ticket while your luck is running. +corn
Enjoy. :D

*That stock is one of the lightest ones that I've seen (at least the forearm & butt stock are the same color) :D .........don't know if the Tru-Oil will make it much darker as it sits.......if it doesn't mix a little dark veneer varnish in with the next coat.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
JimB120

Re: New 92 Range Report

Post by JimB120 »

Thanks for the tip pricedo.

I've gone back and forth on a complete refinishing, or just a touch up. I'll try a little walnut shading if the oil doesn't do the trick alone.