Primers

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Drew66

Primers

Post by Drew66 »

Hi I was hoping someone could help me on this one. I have a Rossi 92 in .357 that I reload for, but have problems getting small pistol primers from my local gun shop they only sell small rifle primers. Can I ask what’s the difference and is it a problem using them. Many thanks
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Primers

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

There are others here who will have better info than me. We are all having the same issues getting primers. What I found is most stores around my area have a supply of magnum primers in supply because very few are purchasing them. I have been using magnum primers for pistol and rifle. I would hold off on using rifle primers in a pistol round until I was positive it was safe to do so.

Using magnum primers I have reduced my charges by 10% and have not had any problems.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Small pistol and rifle primers have the same outside dimensions but the cup thickness is greater on the rifle primer. That said, I've never pressure traced the difference.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I wonder what the true diff. will be curious wish I had a chrono to test this.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:I wonder what the true diff. will be curious wish I had a chrono to test this.
I think the true difference would best measured with pressure trace equipment. I don't think it is going to make a hill of beans in an R92. It might matter in a wheelgun, particularly a revolver with a floating hammer, it might have light strikes with no bang. A hammer nose revolver would not have issue but I would start low and work up carefully.

Me, if that is all I had to feed my R92, I would shoot them. I will put this on my list of must test one day.

I'm actually surprised you can find small rifle primers.
Michael
Drew66

Post by Drew66 »

Hi, many thanks for your thoughts on this one, I think I will go with the rifle primers as it beats not shooting at all. I am also interested to hear you are having the same issue on getting things, I went to the shop to buy brass for reloading and primers and came away empty handed. I also went to look at a new cylinder loading revolver and was told that no stock would be available until 2014. :cry: . I though rather clinically that he had been looking in the excuses book to cover up his lack of ordering stock. Many thanks again for your thoughts on this one, best wishes Drew.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

If it was me and the SR primers were all I could get and it was a choice between shooting & not shooting I'd redevelop the load from scratch with the SR primers.
The Rossi 92 is a strong gun.
If you still have the factory springs in that Rossi 92/357 it's going to wallop that primer hard. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

pricedo wrote:If it was me and the SR primers were all I could get and it was a choice between shooting & not shooting I'd redevelop the load from scratch with the SR primers.
The Rossi 92 is a strong gun.
If you still have the factory springs in that Rossi 92/357 it's going to wallop that primer hard. :mrgreen:
+1 I agree take your time and test the loads you don't need eqiupment just monitor your brass it can give you signs of exxcessive pressure. setback and so on. keep us posted to your results. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I use a lot of small rifle primers in my 357 rifles, both the Marlin and the 1892. I backed the load off and worked my way back up, but I couldn't tell much difference over the chronograph. I don't have a 357 pistol, so that's not an issue here.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Drew66

Post by Drew66 »

Many thanks for your help on this one, small rifle primers it is. Best wishes drew.