Henry lever action 22

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Henry lever action 22

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

I suspect the way revolvers hold the empties attracts me, but until I figger how to reload 22s, I ain't worried about used cases.
Pumps, bolts, semis, single shots, all got things that bug me, but levers appeal to me.
I have read the Henry 22 lever is nice.
Anybody got any good or bad to say?
+corn
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Deleted User 547

Re: Henry lever action 22

Post by Deleted User 547 »

Good here. And you will read an overwhelming majority say the same. A great rifle! Some complain about the plastic barrel band, it does not bother me. If I did of call Henry and have them send out a metal one.
I took mine out to the range yesterday and had a darn good time. I've got the basic 22. Filled it up with shorts first. Then some SV CCI and it went bang every time. The lever is smooth, the wood while winning no beauty contests fit is perfectly. And from what I hear Henry has some great customer service. I hope I never have to use it, but at least I know it's good if I need it.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

prsman23 wrote: Some complain about the plastic barrel band, it does not bother me.
You've got to be kidding !!..........hitherto I though Henry sold very classy firearms..........heavy & expensive but with beautiful furniture and pipes & great workmanship & w/m fitting.
Classic and plastic in a statement about leverguns is oxymoronic.
The rifle is just shy of $300........how much money is the accessory metal barrel band? :?:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Deleted User 547

That's the main part that ticks people off. I understand it, but am not all that concerned about it. Like I said, if you give Henry a call they will send out a metal one. I just never bothered since mine is for plinking and mostly sits in the safe.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Onw of these days I will get a brasslike henry .22 love those henry .22's
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

I own four of the Henrys and like all of em. Last one is the Mares Leg which I bought on a whim, but have found it quite usable in the cab of the UTV or truck. Placing the stub of a stock against the cheek settles it down nicely and tightens groups up. Short length allows it to be swung into action quickly. All four are accurate, feed smoothly and look better than any other lever on the market today under a thousand dollars when it comes to fit and finish. DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

dpe.ahoy wrote:All four are accurate, feed smoothly and look better than any other lever on the market today under a thousand dollars when it comes to fit and finish. DP
Have you handled the 45-70 yet?
Michael
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

The Henry .22 lever gun is the same design as the Ithaca Model 72. The Henry and Ithaca versions are basically identical except for differences in the front sight and barrel band.

Anthony Imperato's father designed the rifle for Erma. It was then made in West Germany and imported and marketed in the US by Ithaca. Anthony Imperato is coincidentally the president of Henry Repeating Arms. He bought the rights to the design and started producing it here as a Henry product.

Plastic aside, my major complaint is that the receiver is a Zamak casting under an outer cosmetic shell. As die cast zinc alloys (pot metal) go, Zamak is one of the best as it's held to a very high purity standard and avoids the distortion, cracking and pitting with age that can occur in low grade pot metals. And over time the now 30-45 year old Model 72s have held up reasonably well, although you do hear about parts breakage issues and feed problems that probably stem from worn parts and poor maintenance.

The Henry is fine for what it is. Still, I much prefer the quality and appearance of a 9422 or a Marlin 39. The 9422 sells for a little more than twice as much at around $650, but it's IMHO worth a lot more than twice as much and will continue to appreciate.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Fake brass, pot metal & plastic....No thanks Henry ! ....I'll take a Browning BL-22 any day.
Most of my .22 shooting is done with Ruger 10/22s .........I have 3 of them with 3rd-party triggers (Volquartsen) .........one a superbly accurate heavy barrel target model.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Deleted User 547

Much like our beloved rossi guns they are made to a price point. And apparently all made from American parts. Lumber, etc. So for the price point and a decent gun I still don't think it's a bad choice. But to each his own.