pricedo broke down in Toronto

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: pricedo broke down in Toronto

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:
joec wrote:Good to see you back. I'm sure glad I'm finally on Medicare though in spite of what they say it isn't free. Costs $101 per month every month though it was $99 last year. Also need a supplemental which picks up what Medicare doesn't cover which runs me about $1500 per year. Either way at least I now have insurance for the first time in 40 years as I've always been uninsurable. Wished we had Medicare for all though as it is worth it when one needs it.
As a country and society containing real aging people it depends on what you want outta life I guess.......you can only spend a buck once........once it's gone.....it's gone.
Would you rather have your aches and illnesses cured, broken bones mended and your wounds bound or a footprint on the moon?
At 60+ years old I know what my choice would be. :mrgreen:
I guess that is a trick question. :mrgreen: But we might get out of the rest of the worlds problems also and let them kill each other. As for the space program it is a drop in the bucket next to the military spending around the world.
Joe
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Hello again pricedo,

A little story to hope cheer you up.

You remember the photos I put online of the mother bear and two cubs outside my daughters house? They've seen them on a few other occasions at various times during the day so they must be living nearby.

Over the weekend, my son-in-law fired up his smokehouse, a nice stainless steel unit he made himself and built outside his garage, which is about 50 yds. from the house. Monday morning he went out to check on some pork butts he was smoking and as he was walking around the garage he was startled to see one of the bear cubs come sliding down a tree trunk pretty close to him. SIL went on high alert as he scanned the woods for mama. Luckily there was no incident but they were surely drawn by the aroma of the smoked pork. I wonder if he's carrying his home defense shotgun on trips to the smoker now.

Here's another photo for you. It's a Garter Snake my daughter saw today so she took some photos of it.
DSC02941.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Will keep you in my prayers Pricedo!!!!

Get healed up brother you have work to do here.... :lol: I hope the meds kick in fast.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ninety Caliber

Post by Ninety Caliber »

Get well SOON!!
N.C.
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

Give'em hell Pricedo! Hope you have a speedy recovery!
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Surgery successful. released from hospital yesterday afternoon and will be staying in my Canadian apartment for a while until my health issues are completely resolved.
Free ambulatory services & health care can't be walked/driven away from when your health is IFFY.
The US dollar free market value of the cost of the medications (a witches brew of various antibiotics, blood pressure drugs and blood thinners) I got at the drug store upon release from hospital yesterday would have bought the new Miroku 94TE 450 that I haven't got to shoot yet ! :!: :!: :shock: :shock:
:D :D :D :D Thanks for all your kind wishes. :D :D :D :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

As a corollary to this whole thing if I have excess meds after a course of treatment is done in the context of high powered antibiotics or pain killers I put them in my emergency bush med kit which is contained in one of those fluorescent orange plastic waterproof containers which was designed for matches that ALWAYS goes with me on any fly-in or remote trips into the wilderness. Commonly available water purification tablets are also contained in the kit and an ultra-light but very strong tourniquet.
In the event of remote wilderness incidents of appendicitis, injuries, infections, infectious & water borne diseases, food poisoning that kit could keep me or someone else alive and mobile long enough to reach help.......I have learned that severe PAIN is one of your main foes (second only to breathing and bleeding) in these situations.......it paralyzes your mind and body........if you can quell the pain & continue to think & act rationally your chances of survival are much better.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Surgery successful. released from hospital yesterday afternoon and will be staying in my Canadian apartment for a while until my health issues are completely resolved.
Free ambulatory services & health care can't be walked/driven away from when your health is IFFY.
The US dollar free market value of the cost of the medications (a witches brew of various antibiotics, blood pressure drugs and blood thinners) I got at the drug store upon release from hospital yesterday would have bought the new Miroku 94TE 450 that I haven't got to shoot yet ! :!: :!: :shock: :shock:
:D :D :D :D Thanks for all your kind wishes. :D :D :D :D
Outstanding!

That way I see it is all that free care has left you with a bit of shopping money, may be there is a nice find in Toronto gun shop to commemorate the event! ;)
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:As a corollary to this whole thing if I have excess meds after a course of treatment is done in the context of high powered antibiotics or pain killers I put them in my emergency bush med kit which is contained in one of those fluorescent orange plastic waterproof containers which was designed for matches that ALWAYS goes with me on any fly-in or remote trips into the wilderness. Commonly available water purification tablets are also contained in the kit and an ultra-light but very strong tourniquet.
In the event of remote wilderness incidents of appendicitis, injuries, infections, infectious & water borne diseases, food poisoning that kit could keep me or someone else alive and mobile long enough to reach help.......I have learned that severe PAIN is one of your main foes (second only to breathing and bleeding) in these situations.......it paralyzes your mind and body........if you can quell the pain & continue to think & act rationally your chances of survival are much better.
Great thinking and hard to argue. The problem is getting the items and keeping the effective over time.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:As a corollary to this whole thing if I have excess meds after a course of treatment is done in the context of high powered antibiotics or pain killers I put them in my emergency bush med kit which is contained in one of those fluorescent orange plastic waterproof containers which was designed for matches that ALWAYS goes with me on any fly-in or remote trips into the wilderness. Commonly available water purification tablets are also contained in the kit and an ultra-light but very strong tourniquet.
Great thinking and hard to argue. The problem is getting the items and keeping the effective over time.
I throw out old stuff and replace with new stuff whenever I have antibiotics &/or pain killers surplus to a course of treatment as an outpatient.

SCENARIO:
It is 0300 hrs and RD is sleeping in a tent on a fly-in fishing trip in Maine where the only access to the lake is 2 hours by bush plane and he develops an infectious disease from drinking bacteria contaminated water.
An improvised kit like mine could mean the difference between the bush plane pilot finding a cold stiff body of a man who'd died in agony during the night and a somewhat subdued but very much alive RD the next morning.

TRUE RECOLLECTION:
Badly twisted an ankle while on a mineral prospecting trip deep in the bush near the village of Temagami in Northern Ontario, Canada. The pain was excruciating. Two things I always carry in the wilderness greatly facilitated the trip back to the highway and medical treatment. One was a roll of duct tape which makes very quickly applied and very strong slings, compresses, splints, tourniquets, bandage wrappers, waterproof boot & tent patches (short term), tent pole bindings. A duct tape bandage (clean cloth between skin & tape) is a SOB to take off but you're still alive to do it. The other was a coupla tablets of a strong prescription pain killer that I had left over from a previous ailment and had kept in the kit. I bound the ankle with several wraps of the duct tape around my pant leg to minimize motion and damage to the ankle while traveling back to the truck parked on Hwy 11. I popped a couple of the pain killers and when the pain had subsided I slowly made my way back to safety. Never woulda been able to stand on that ankle to walk for even a second if I hadn't had that pain medicine. Experience is a dear teacher up in the big country and the wilderness is absolutely brutal & merciless. Up under those northern stars you're just another potential source of food for a bigger animal taking his chances.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA