AA#9

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

AA#9

Post by mr surveyor »

What's the general consensus on AA#9 in .357 mag and .44 mag. I've been using Unique, A2400 and AA#7 (for jacketed), and noticed I was running low on my favorites. I ran across a can of AA#9, which I know is near the top of the charts for both .357 and .44 for use with cast boolits and felt lucky to find a can of anything useful in my neighborhood. A week or so ago I had enough time to load up a few test rounds for the .44 and tried 19.0 gr (#9) under a 240 gr lswc Bayou Bullet. I popped a cylinder full from my Ruger SRH in the back yard to "function test", and they felt good, no smoke, no sign of pressure (the load is at or slightly above start), and no fouling in the revolver. I haven't had the chance to try them in the R92, but decided to load at least one box full for a range trip. Today, I noticed I was low on range fodder for my edc (3" SP101), so loaded up a box with 12.2 gr of AA#9 under 158 gr lswc Bayou Bullets. Depending on the data source, that's somewhere near start to mid range. I haven't test fired any, but have no doubt they will be fine in the Ruger revolver. I do still have plans to find a 16" .357 ... don't really "need" one, but I dang sure want one.

Anyone else want to share experience with AA#9 or AA#7 in the R92's? I'm fishing for info :D

surv
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: AA#9

Post by ironhead7544 »

Overall, I like the AA#9. Havent used it in the M92 yet but I just dont have any right now. It burns cleaner than 2400 or H110/296. It can be downloaded unlike H110/296 which works best at top loads. In the 357 Magnum and 187 gr cast GC bullets it gave me the highest velocity of any powder. Should be excellent in a 16 inch M92.

Havent used AA#7 except in 9mm where it is a great performer.
MT Gianni

Post by MT Gianni »

I love AA9 and use it in 357, 44, 45 and a cast 30-30 rifle load. It does it's best when loaded in a warm pressure creating situation, either with heavy bullets, + loads or both. I will not use it in either special or any cartridge under 15K cup.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

MT Gianni wrote:I love AA9 and use it in 357, 44, 45 and a cast 30-30 rifle load. It does it's best when loaded in a warm pressure creating situation, either with heavy bullets, + loads or both. I will not use it in either special or any cartridge under 15K cup.

I'm good with loads for .357 and .44 mag .... please tell me more about the .30-30 loads....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I finally had the time and daylight to try the AA#9 loads in the Rossi late this afternoon (before dark). Due to my buddy's dog running back and forth a couple hundred yards down range from the 25 and 50 yard targets I had set up a differing angles, it was difficult to really work on a target. I did manage to shoot a nice (for me) 3 inch three group at 50 yards with the factory sights off a rickety bench under low light conditions. One round at 6 o'clock in the 8 ring of a shoot-n-c and two rounds cutting one hole just outside the shoot-n-c at 12 o'clock. Before that, I had been testing some .30-30 rounds on the 50 yard target board which attracted the dog chasing the "dust mice" down range. So before I had the chance to really try the .44 mag load at 50 yards, under the better light needed for my poor vision, my son and I shot up several rounds at 25 yards standing and sitting in a stand type chair and both of us kept everything within 4-6 inches .... centered on the bullseye. I just wish I had had more time to work on the 50 yard target with the Rossi, but I think I may have found my new favorite lswc load. Bayou Bullet 240 gr (bb) lswc over 19.0 gr of AA#9, CCI LPP. When I'm happy with the accuracy of the load, after another test or two, I'll trouble my buddy (a cancer patient) to point me to his chrony and get some reliable numbers. Just my "wag", but I'm guessing around 1600 fps with this load from the 20" barrel.

I probably spent too much daylight time testing my .30-30 loads, and my son putting quite a few rounds through his GP100, but we haven't taken a range trip in several weeks. Next trip (almost 5 miles farther out in the country from me) will be devoted to .44 mag. Actually, my friend did inform me that his pea patch (about 5 acres) was being stripped by the usual varmints. This guy has spent his whole life feeding his family on his farm from either what grows from the ground or what he shoots.... now he's at his best when he feels good enough to sit on the front porch and watch the sunset. I may just take him up on the offer/request to spend a few evenings guarding the pea patch. :mrgreen:

surv
MT Gianni

Post by MT Gianni »

mr surveyor wrote:
MT Gianni wrote:I love AA9 and use it in 357, 44, 45 and a cast 30-30 rifle load. It does it's best when loaded in a warm pressure creating situation, either with heavy bullets, + loads or both. I will not use it in either special or any cartridge under 15K cup.

I'm good with loads for .357 and .44 mag .... please tell me more about the .30-30 loads....
Wow, Life has really gotten away from me. I use 15 gr in the 30 wcf under the 311-165 RD. Source was a Handloader article 7-8 years back. It gets me +- 1500 fps. Your guns may vary, mine is a WIn94.