what do you use trim your brass?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

what do you use trim your brass?

Post by akuser47 »

I have been putting off getting a redding 2400 with micrometer adjustments for a while and now that I bought some hornady FTX bullets. I need to have a lathe trimmer to trim the .357 cases down to 1.25 none of my lee crap will do this LoL I shoot long range .308 with a nice rifle I put parts on and had work done on so I will use it for many other things but this is what I am playing with for now. Anyone got a good option without the high cost of a redding 2400 for being accurate and adjustable and to trim the cases sqaure ?
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: what do you use trim your brass?

Post by Dan 444 »

ak,
I just use the Lee trimmers that are unique to each caliber. They're inexpensive. You can special order a trimmer for a given caliber and length....they're still inexpensive.

Dan
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea I have lee's and love using them for genral trimming of my standard calibers to standard specs. but the new hornady FTX round for .357 has to have the case trimmed down to 1.25 the lee trims to aroun 1.29 which will not chamber in my gun so I am looking into getting the lathe trimmer so that I can custom make some rounds I think it will be handy.
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Dan 444 »

ak,

You can order a 1.25" 357 trimmer from Lee (or you can just grind .04" off the 1.29 :lol: ).

Dan
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I was looking at it doesn't look like an easy way to cleanly cut or grind it to size this is what I use for all my calibers so far for standard oal case length. I am gonna contact lee and see if they make one specifically for my needs thanks for the info.
http://leeprecision.com/case-conditioni ... ing-tools/
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:I have been putting off getting a redding 2400 with micrometer adjustments for a while and now that I bought some hornady FTX bullets. I need to have a lathe trimmer to trim the .357 cases down to 1.25 none of my lee crap will do this LoL I shoot long range .308 with a nice rifle I put parts on and had work done on so I will use it for many other things but this is what I am playing with for now. Anyone got a good option without the high cost of a redding 2400 for being accurate and adjustable and to trim the cases sqaure ?
I own scores of Lee trimmers, a Lyman Universal Case Trimmer, and the Lyman Power trimmer. When I have a specific need that I know is going to be repeatable over the long term, my choice is to have Lee make a custom cutter. I have been looking for an alternative for the Lyman Power Trimmer, I consider it just about useless, not having enough torque. It also is a bit %@*&$-backwards for a right hand person. Both Lyman trimmers have the fine adjustment, with one index mark equaling .001" inch in length.

I've been eyeballing the Redding as well but I'm also going to call CH4D about their Power Case Trimmer. It looks stout but I sure would like to use one before I buy any additional trimmers. Had I tried the Lyman before purchase, dollars would not have been spent. In that I have a very nice drill press, I even thought about the RDZ Case Trimmer. I think I'm favoring the RDZ, either that or continue to have the custom Lee cutters made.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

thanks I had no idea I could have lee custom make me shell case giudes for my cutter. I will be contacting them tommorrow to see about getting one. thanks again
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Dan 444 »

akuser47 wrote:I was looking at it doesn't look like an easy way to cleanly cut or grind it to size this is what I use for all my calibers so far for standard oal case length. I am gonna contact lee and see if they make one specifically for my needs thanks for the info.

Lee will do a custom cutter for $15.00
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:I was looking at it doesn't look like an easy way to cleanly cut or grind it to size this is what I use for all my calibers so far for standard oal case length. I am gonna contact lee and see if they make one specifically for my needs thanks for the info.
The correct page for the Lee customer cutters is through the Custom Services menu item. On checkout use the comment box to fully describe the cutter you need and they will take care of it.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

This topic got me moving of my keester. I bought that Lyman Power Trimmer for $230 specifically to address the needs of trimming brass for my RG4570. It cannot handle it. After responding to this thread it was like... "what are you fooling with dude, do what you know works". I just ordered a custom trimmer from Lee for $15.00. All I had to do was add this in the comment box: "Reference: Custom Case Length Gauge. This is for the 45-70 Govt but with a maximum trim length of 2.022". That is the brass length I need to accommodate any of my TLC460 bullets; 300, 350, or 425-grain.

I'm going to call Lyman to see if the lack of power/torque is a problem. If it is I will return it for repair but either way it will be sold. I will continue to use their Universal Trimmer to meet custom length needs and once that length is established, custom order a trimmer from Lee like I have done in the past.
Michael