what do you use trim your brass?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
mikld

Re: what do you use trim your brass?

Post by mikld »

Trim brass? What's that? I gotta say I don't remember when was the last time I trimmed any brass as I reload, 90%, .44 Magnum. I have some 30-30 brass I reload for my Handi-rifle, not often though, but when I need to I'll use my Lee tool.
deaddoc4444

Post by deaddoc4444 »

I think brass trimming is VERY IMPORTANT for numerous reasons . I trim and check the trim length regularly on ALL of my brass in ALL calibers. The easiest and fastest way it to use the LEE trim method . If it trims, it NEEDED it if it did not its fine !!!> I also have several LEE CUSTOM trim dies made to order I had an 86 Winchester in 38/56 for many years I HAD to have a case trim die made for that and it worked GREAT . I DO also have a Lyman and RCBS case trimmer with collets and I ALMOST Never use it .
ALSO for the casters.... LEAD has to get up to approx 1500 Degrees F to vaporize where it can be inhaled to harmful effects . I do not know of any applications needed in casting to go over 850 degrees. IF you are in a well ventilated area and IF you are in the least bit judicious in washing your hands after the actual touching of the lead You are in virtually no danger of lead exposure .
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

mikld wrote:Trim brass? What's that? I gotta say I don't remember when was the last time I trimmed any brass as I reload, 90%, .44 Magnum. I have some 30-30 brass I reload for my Handi-rifle, not often though, but when I need to I'll use my Lee tool.
If you crimp into a cannelure or crimping groove using a mechanical press you are going to need to trim your brass to the same length........this is not so critical for Lee Loader users.
If you shoot a heavy kicking levergun with a tube magazine you need to crimp your bullets in well or the bullet will get recoil pounded into the case reducing effective case volume and increasing powder compression and dangerous pressures will result.
A levergun bolt sticking out of your forehead will be a great conversation starter but there are far less painful ways to meet people. :oops:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I use the Lee trimmers, but the calibers I reload rarely need trimming (357 Mag and 44-40)
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I use the Lee trimmers with a drill motor, though it rarely needs any I still check it out ever time I reload after tumbling. Even new brass I check but rarely need to do it really.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

joec wrote:I use the Lee trimmers with a drill motor, though it rarely needs any I still check it out ever time I reload after tumbling. Even new brass I check but rarely need to do it really.
I put the spud of the shell holder in a variable speed electric drill chuck and let the drill motor do the work.
I use fine steel wool to polish the outside of the case at the same time.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

The drill and lee case trimmersare awesome and you can have custom lengths made by them for you it is awesome.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
phonejack

Post by phonejack »

Tried the rcbs and the Lyman and went back to using thenLee
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:
joec wrote:I use the Lee trimmers with a drill motor, though it rarely needs any I still check it out ever time I reload after tumbling. Even new brass I check but rarely need to do it really.
I put the spud of the shell holder in a variable speed electric drill chuck and let the drill motor do the work.
I use fine steel wool to polish the outside of the case at the same time.
I do it the same way with one of my two rechargeable drill motors. I also use steel wool to polish a bit of the case if needed. I have also done it the other way with the cutter end in the drill and the using a nut driver to hold the shell. I prefer it the original what with the shell holder in the drill. I have both cutters by the way the one without the handle and the one with the ball.
Joe
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

akuser47 wrote:The drill and lee case trimmersare awesome and you can have custom lengths made by them for you it is awesome.
Lee will custom size everything from dies to case trimmer for you and cheaper than many other brands sell their stuff for. I have a custom 45 Colt crimp die (rifle type) as well as bullet shapes for the seating dies.
Joe