Brand of dies preferred

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Brand of dies preferred

Post by joec »

I have been using Lee Dies for 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 45-70 and ordered a set of the for the 454 casull. Now I also use the seater die from the RCBS Cowboy set for the 45 Colt and 45-70 due to the larger meplat bullets, do to the fact the Lee dies would shave lead on some bullets. I also like the Cowboy expander die for the 45-70 better than the Lee so use it followed by Lee's Expander/Powder through. Now I know a little epoxy will make any bullet fit without shaving but haven't done it to mine as I also might load a jacketed bullet in them eventually.

At any rate just curious about your choices.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Brand of dies preferred

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:At any rate just curious about your choices.
All Lee for me!
Michael
3030man

Post by 3030man »

I started with RCBS dies, and still have the 30-30 set I started with in the early 1970's. I've got some Lee dies, and one set of Lymans. I like using the Lyman mouth expanding dies for anything I load cast bullets in. The Lyman M die has a two-step feature that works a lot better than the Lee expanding dies. I like the Lee factory crimp die for every levergun caliber that I load for. I'm not as fond of the Lee factory crimp die as it's configured for handgun calibers--at least not when I'm loading cast bullets.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

3030man wrote:I started with RCBS dies, and still have the 30-30 set I started with in the early 1970's. I've got some Lee dies, and one set of Lymans. I like using the Lyman mouth expanding dies for anything I load cast bullets in. The Lyman M die has a two-step feature that works a lot better than the Lee expanding dies. I like the Lee factory crimp die for every levergun caliber that I load for. I'm not as fond of the Lee factory crimp die as it's configured for handgun calibers--at least not when I'm loading cast bullets.
I like the Lee pistol FCD for Jacketed bullets when loading with a taper crimp however I like the collet type crimp dies from Lee as comes for the 45-70 or the one I got from Ranch Dog Outdoors some time ago. I also have a Redding Profile Crimp die in 45 Colt which is similar. For the WFN in 45 Colt I use the RCBS CB seating die mostly due to the meplat size and the fact it does one of the best roll crimps I've seen on any die. I did a cross check of the Lee 3 die set for the 454 Casull and it uses the 45 Colt for the powder/expander die and the seating crimp die so just bought the sizing die from the set. I can also use the RCBS Cowboy seating die for the 454 as well. Even with that I've found a couple of cast boolits I have that still shave with the both so picked up and extra seating plug for the 45 colt ($2) which I will use epoxy and fit it to the biggest I have. That way I just change the seating plug in depending on the bullets used.

I've only used the one Redding I listed and never tried any other except the RCBS Cowboy dies, of course the Lee dies also.
Last edited by joec on 14 May 2013 17:38, edited 2 times in total.
Joe
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I love lee dies and also love redding benchrest dies as well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
olereb

Post by olereb »

I have 9mm and .45acp Lyman dies but everything else is LEE,i got the Lyman dies when i first started reloading. The Lyman dies work fine but i do prefer LEE and thats all i buy anymore.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Started with RCBS about 35 years ago. Now its Lee all the way no questions asked.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Redding..............boxes upon boxes of dies ..............bankers boxes full of die sets accumulated over the years.........some for calibers I don't have guns chambered in any more........and just about every reloading manual ever printed.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

When I started out reloading again, I went with Lee carbide die set for the 357. Then when I added the 44-40 to the mix, I went with Lyman and the M expander with a Lee Factory Crimp to protect the thin brass from crumpling. I've got an old SMLE that I was given a set of Eagle dies in 303 for, but I've never used them as I don't hardly shoot the thing at all.

Actually I just like whatever works!
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

My favorites are RCBS dies. At the other end of the spectrum there are Hornady dies which I hate to use. My only set of Hornady's is in 7mm Rem. for my sons favorite rifle. I do have and use some Lee equipment like their collet neck sizing dies and factory crimp dies too.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.