What's up with THIS?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

What's up with THIS?

Post by donhuff »

Went to the range yesterday to check out some new loads and to see if the modification I did to a Lyman mold would make a difference in how my bullets worked. Either it was a bad day for me or the other day when I shot those one hole groups was a very good day. I could not shoot a group under 1-1/2" to save my life! I tried several different loads, some new and some were the same as the good load I shot the other day. JNEWELL, you would have been proud of me. I shot like I was over 50.... lol. I do that sometimes. One day shoot like a pro and the next day I cant shoot a group worth a dern.

With group shooting going so bad, I moved my practice to the 100 yard bank, and all the gallon jugs and pop bottles. At least I could still move them around on the bank. Then on shot 181, no I didn't count every shot, I resized the cases this morning, I had a jam... then the next one too. What's up wit this I wondred. Then I looked at the table and saw that on Shot #181, the case head had seperated and the rest of the case was still in the chamber !Dang ole Rossi's. It dont take little of nuttin to make them jam up :lol:

But that ended my day for shooting the rossi. just as well since I was doing so poorly. I did have a model 62, 22 pump with me and shot a couple of groups wit it too. Did as bad with it as I did with the 92.

I have refinished the stock and polished on the barrel since the last pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What's up with THIS?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yikes!

Do you know how many reloads you have through your cases? Any changes to the crimp?
Michael
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

No RD,

I have no idea how many times they have been loaded. Probably a bunch as I got my first 44 in.......maybe 75-76. Usually every time I go out with the 44 ruger, I have to toss several cases because they are split. I've never had a pistol case to seperate the head like tis before. usually they just split lengthwise. I have had the problem with 308 in an M1A because I bought a bunch of brass at a gun show that had been shot in an M60. I found out later that they have large chambers and the brass is streched too much on just one firing. Had to throw away 500 rounds.

I am crimping the snot out of them for this rossi because I have read that it helps with feeding. It is working so good now, that I'll back off of it some. Do you think I was crimping too much?
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I suspect that the brass is wore out and the heavy crimp is probably buckling the case, unnoticeable to the eye, in the area that the case separated. Not sure how you could inspect the cartridges but it is a good idea to do a bit of record keeping to know what kind of case life you are are dealing with.

As a worse case and the bad thing about the separation is that it can erode the chamber in the area of the break. In effect, it was a shaped charge going off. This erosion in the form of a ring, can become a rough area on on the chamber wall that prevents the brass from properly expanding to form with the chamber and then cleanly contracting. The brass sticking to the chamber at the shot could cause some weird pressure variations. So take a bit of time to clean up the chamber. Look to see if there is a ring that matches the area of separation.
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Either it was a bad day for me or the other day when I shot those one hole groups was a very good day.

One thing for sure is a good day or bad day at the range is better than the best day at work…. :lol:

One thing I have found when I am not hitting my mark is where my anchor point is. I try to hold the rifle using the same grip every time. Same distance from the rear sight (eye relief) and same location. With my M-16 it is easy… put my nose against the charging lever and I am there…

For me one small change in shooting form and the bullets are not where they should be…. :?
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Old brass can split. Not too unusual. If it is splitting then it has hardened. Time to toss them. The accuracy may be bad as the neck tension will vary. Recently found some 44 Mag ammo that I loaded around the mid eighties. Fired 3 shots then noticed the cases had split lengthwise. I tossed them.

I once had an old case split like yours did, also a 44 Mag. The rifle was an older Marlin 1894. The front part stuck in the chamber. Had a hard time getting it out. Ordered a brass puller but that did not work. If that happens, you will have to drive a lead bullet in from the muzzle. That will knock it out. The case mouth had pushed up into the barrel and showed rifling marks. The rifle was still fine.

Concerning the 308 brass fired in the MG, I also had a bunch of that stuff I bought cheap. Had to size it in a regular die and then a small base die to get it to fit a bolt action. Once fired in the bolt gun the brass was fine after that.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Yeah your right, when they split.....I toss them!

I pulled the bolt out and found a drill bit that would just fit in the stuck case. Had to twist it in a little, then pulled it right out.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Defective brass and brass that doesn't pass inspection or shows the bright ring ahead of the rim or belt indicating incipient case/head separation should not just be discarded.
IMPORTANT: Pinch the mouth of the rejected case flat with a pair of pliers as soon as it is detected eliminating the possibility of the dud cases re-entering the loading cycle and creating a dangerous situation.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

pricedo: I keep a set of pliers on the bench for that.