Never let pricedo loose in a gun shop

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Never let pricedo loose in a gun shop

Post by pricedo »

Rooster59 wrote:Pricedo,

Who makes the gun lock in the photo? I've looked for years for a lock suitable for a straight stock lever action. The locks Marlin ships with their rifles doesn't suit me.
It's an older one that's been around for a while......says "Master" on it.
You could cut the band with a jack knife in 3 seconds.
I use a steel cable lock on my other lever guns that can be cut off with a cable cutter in 4 seconds. :lol:
No real security........keeps the young kids "rug rats" from firing the gun if they find it. +corn
An older kid would have that thing off with a table knife or scissors before you could say "bang".
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Winchester 94 - The Next Generation

Post by pricedo »

A shop I've dealt with for a few years had a new Winchester model 1894 Trails End takedown levergun in 450 Marlin on for $1299.99 which is about $150 off the regular price so I bought one as a running mate for my BLR (also a takedown) in the same caliber.
Opened the box and checked the gun overall and then cycled the action..........smooth as a babys _ _ _ ! ....... what !!.......no cosmoline.......no metal grindings .......and w/m fit impeccable .......and the butt stock and forearm are the same color. :mrgreen:
Stripping this gun apart will be a waste of time (but I'll do it anyway out of curiosity) as the smoothness of the action bespeaks silently to the fact that I won't find a single burr inside that receiver housing.
I think Winchester should have printed a warning on the guns barrel, "Don't cycle this gun while driving, operating its ultra-smooth action may cause drowsiness."
The gun has a natural low luster natural walnut finish and not the usual glossy epoxy finish of the Miroku BLR.
The rifle weighs 6 pounds 12 ounces & I'm sure the Pachmayr recoil pad will be much appreciated when I squeeze the trigger on my next range visit.
At the same time I picked up a Leupold VX-2, 2-7x28mm Ultralight scope which is 2" shorter and 4 oz. lighter than the usual Leupold "Rifleman" scope I use on my heavy hitters.......a little over $500 (tax inc) was a bit pricey but you don't mount a pedestrian scope on an aristocrat gun.
I will post "after"pictures and pictures of the gun taken down when I get it set up with a Quake Claw sling with the choker loop on the barrel end which will necessitate one small pilot hole for the conventional sling swivel eye stud that goes in the butt stock.
Have the rings.......still waiting for the mounts.
The gun is an angle eject so I will mount the new compact scope on the receiver.
The gun itself is as light as my 20" Amadeo Rossi 92/454 and I'm guesstimating the factory ammo pushes a 350 grain Hornady FP around 2050 fps out the guns 20" barrel so they're about in the same ballpark power wise as my 335 grain hardcast lead bullets exit the 92/454 about 1950 fps.........not that a deer, hog or bear would ever feel the difference as it joined its ancestors in big game heaven.
One advantage of the 92/454 is that 100 rounds of its ammo takes up a whole lot less space in a rucksack that 100 rounds of the 450 Marlin cigar-like cartridges but then again I can "takedown" the Winchester 94/450 and store it in a briefcase.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Winchester 94 - The Next Generation

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Image

A shop I've dealt with for a few years had a new Winchester model 1894 Trails End takedown levergun in 450 Marlin on for $1299.99 which is about $150 off the regular price so I bought one as a running mate for my BLR (also a takedown) in the same caliber.
Opened the box and checked the gun overall and then cycled the action..........smooth as a babys _ _ _ ! ....... what !!.......no cosmoline.......no metal grindings .......and w/m fit impeccable .......and the butt stock and forearm are the same color. :mrgreen:
Stripping this gun apart will be a waste of time (but I'll do it anyway out of curiosity) as the smoothness of the action bespeaks silently to the fact that I won't find a single burr inside that receiver housing.
I think Winchester should have printed a warning on the guns barrel, "Don't cycle this gun while driving, operating its ultra-smooth action may cause drowsiness."
The gun has a natural low luster natural walnut finish and not the usual glossy epoxy finish of the Miroku BLR.
The rifle weighs 6 pounds 12 ounces & I'm sure the Pachmayr recoil pad will be much appreciated when I squeeze the trigger on my next range visit.
At the same time I picked up a Leupold VX-2, 2-7x28mm Ultralight scope which is 2" shorter and 4 oz. lighter than the usual Leupold "Rifleman" scope I use on my heavy hitters.......a little over $500 (tax inc) was a bit pricey but you don't mount a pedestrian scope on an aristocrat gun.
I will post "after"pictures and pictures of the gun taken down when I get it set up with a Quake Claw sling with the choker loop on the barrel end which will necessitate one small pilot hole for the conventional sling swivel eye stud that goes in the butt stock.
Have the rings.......still waiting for the mounts.
The gun is an angle eject so I will mount the new compact scope on the receiver.
The gun itself is as light as my 20" Amadeo Rossi 92/454 and I'm guesstimating the factory ammo pushes a 350 grain Hornady FP around 2050 fps out the guns 20" barrel so they're about in the same ballpark power wise as my 335 grain hardcast lead bullets exit the 92/454 about 1950 fps.........not that a deer, hog or bear would ever feel the difference as it joined its ancestors in big game heaven.
One advantage of the 92/454 is that 100 rounds of its ammo takes up a whole lot less space in a rucksack that 100 rounds of the 450 Marlin cigar-like cartridges but then again I can "takedown" the Winchester 94/450 and store it in a briefcase.
Very, very nice!
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Nice find pricedo.

Now back to the thread title. It's not a good idea to let pricedo loose period..... :)
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

One nice little feature I've just noticed on my new 94 Trails End is that Winchester (Miroku) developed a detachable hammer spur that is threaded into the side of the hammer and won't fall off like the ones with the tiny little Allen screw fastener that have a habit of loosening and dropping off at the worst possible times.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:One nice little feature I've just noticed on my new 94 Trails End is that Winchester (Miroku) developed a detachable hammer spur that is threaded into the side of the hammer and won't fall off like the ones with the tiny little Allen screw fastener that have a habit of loosening and dropping off at the worst possible times.
That is supper and exactly what I suggested, in a post reply, that Rossi do for the Rio Grande. A threaded hole through the hammer spur with the extension screwing either side for left or right handed shooters.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:One nice little feature I've just noticed on my new 94 Trails End is that Winchester (Miroku) developed a detachable hammer spur that is threaded into the side of the hammer and won't fall off like the ones with the tiny little Allen screw fastener that have a habit of loosening and dropping off at the worst possible times.
That is supper and exactly what I suggested, in a post reply, that Rossi do for the Rio Grande. A threaded hole through the hammer spur with the extension screwing either side for left or right handed shooters.
That's exactly what it is.......the spur with the threaded end will screw into either side of the hammer.
For 3 X the price of a Rossi Rio Grande for the Winchester TE 94/450 I think I was entitled to that little tidbit of out of the box thinking from Winchester/Miroku.
For this kind of money I expect that the only thing separating me and a day at the range will be the road.
The little Red Remlin-Rossi toolbox will remain closed on the shelf tonight........NOT NEEDED ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

***I've already got the sling swivel eye-stud on the butt stock and the Quake "Claw" Sling attached as well as the shell holder on the butt stock.........just need the Weaver bases to mount the Leupold Ultralight 2-7x28mm scope (a compact little sweetheart of a scope if I ever saw one with glass as clear as a spring fed mountain lake) :D :D :D :D :D .
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hopefully, you will get to shoot it soon. Nothing like shooting a new rifle for the first time!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Hopefully, you will get to shoot it soon. Nothing like shooting a new rifle for the first time!
The Pachmayr recoil pad and the flush-to-barrel muzzle brake (reminds me of a Pendleton muzzle break I had on a gun I owned & sold years ago.....think it was a Weatherby 340 Mag) should ensure that the bones broken by the powerful 450 Marlin cartridge belong to the animal in front of the muzzle and not the old fool holding a 6 3/4 pound gun firing a near-458 magnum roundImage.
We can always hope.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Whenever I have to drill an expensive gun to install a scope or for any other reason I save the wood dust in a little envelope with the guns identifying Information written on the face.
If I need to fill in the hole later on I mix some of the saved dust with plastic wood or epoxy and after a little buffing the filled hole blends in perfectly with the rest of the stock,
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA