Never let pricedo loose in a gun shop

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Never let pricedo loose in a gun shop

Post by pricedo »

Picked up a neat little pre-64 Winchester 94 made in 1955 while I was in the shop to pick up the Yellow Boy Commemorative........good bore ......good metal (nothing broken or damaged)....... wood intact (no noticeable gouges or scratches)........decent wood finish.........bluing respectable with a few "character blemishes"........pretty good for 58 years.
Most important ......everything is original..........no amateurish attempts at restoration........no amputations or embellishments......as it came out of the box in consideration of the effects of almost 60 years of normal wear & tear.
$375 cash money......reasonable.
Only problem is a damaged link pin stop screw (the post 64s don't have one of those)........already ordered the pre-64 1894 replacement screw kit (Galazan Products) from Brownells.
Now I got both a pre & post 64 1894.........sold several of both over the years.......these I'll keep.
Another toy to tune-up & spiff up. :mrgreen:
Should be able to apply some Tru-Oil as a wood preserver/conditioner without affecting the original Winchester finish most of which is still intact on the gun.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Never let pricedo loose in a gun shop

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Wow very nice find!!! and it look to be in better than average shape for its age. Congrats!
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice!

Back during hunting season, October through January, my FLL (the gunshop I frequent) was buying rifles like this wholesale from some source and then selling them for $375 as well. The were all used but up to the task of hunting whitetails. He sells the RG3030B for $399.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Very nice!

Back during hunting season, October through January, my FLL (the gunshop I frequent) was buying rifles like this wholesale from some source and then selling them for $375 as well. The were all used but up to the task of hunting whitetails. He sells the RG3030B for $399.
I think the first Winchester 1894 I owned was a 30-30 bought by Dad in '61 for $69.95 brand spanking new off the rack in the local hardware store.
No licenses, FFL, NICS or any of that stuff those days........only paper you had to show was "the green".
Think that got sold when I traded-up to a M700 in 30-06 Sprng a few years later.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:I think the first Winchester 1894 I owned was a 30-30 bought by Dad in '61 for $69.95 brand spanking new off the rack in the local hardware store.
No licenses, FFL, NICS or any of that stuff those days........only paper you had to show was "the green".
Think that got sold when I traded-up to a M700 in 30-06 Sprng a few years later.
I traded my dad a Glenfield 30GT for his '66 M94, it was the "Antique" which was simply a case hardened finish on the receiver with a saddle ring. I guess by the hoopla about the post '64 models had damages sales so it was still on the shelf in '68. A twenty and a five on the counter, it was his!

My dad and I put a conservative estimate of 1000 big game animals taken with this rifle, granted about 90% of them being feral hogs. It has taken just about everything Texas has to offer except the desert bighorn. So much for it being the "runt of the litter". :)
Michael
Deleted User 547

Post by Deleted User 547 »

Amazing find. Even better price. I paid 800 for mine. Would do it again!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:I think the first Winchester 1894 I owned was a 30-30 bought by Dad in '61 for $69.95 brand spanking new off the rack in the local hardware store.
I traded my dad a Glenfield 30GT for his '66 M94, it was the "Antique" which was simply a case hardened finish on the receiver with a saddle ring. I guess by the hoopla about the post '64 models had damages sales so it was still on the shelf in '68. A twenty and a five on the counter, it was his!

My dad and I put a conservative estimate of 1000 big game animals taken with this rifle, granted about 90% of them being feral hogs. It has taken just about everything Texas has to offer except the desert bighorn. So much for it being the "runt of the litter". :)
Chuck Hawks posted a dispassionate, objective blog on the pre/post 64 1894 controversy & correctly assessed that the manufacturing cost streamlining measures implemented by Winchester in 1964 that saved the 1894 from being discontinued had absolutely no significant effect on the functionality, accuracy and dependability of the 1984 rifles produced after 1964........in sharp contrast to the Winchester model 70 which was a different rifle after 1964.

Production & materials costs were rising geometrically at the time and Winchester had 3 cut & dried choices 1) discontinue the 94 or 2) cut manufacturing costs or 3) dramatically increase the price of a 1894 rifle.

As I said I have owned several pre/post 64 Winchester 1894 carbines and the most accurate one I ever owned was one made in 1971 in 32 WSP. They were all very handy, robust & reasonably accurate for what they were designed to be.......light weight, short to medium range deer rifles.

In respect of the fact that a run of the mill Miroku built 1894 now MSRPs around $1200 it's not hard to see which one of the 3 above captioned choices Fabrique Nationale the current owner of the Browning & Winchester trade names made.

As far as I'm concerned the Winchester company ceased to exist in 2006 and any gun that I will ever call a Winchester has New Haven, Connecticut or Cobourg, Ontario etched on the barrel.

And YES, Winchester operated a full fledged gun manufacturing plant in Cobourg, Ontario, Canada from 1970 to 1982.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

prsman23 wrote:Amazing find. Even better price. I paid 800 for mine. Would do it again!
When I get your money order for $800 the gun will be on its way to you..........I'll even pay the shipping & throw in a box of factory ammo. :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Deleted User 547

Post by Deleted User 547 »

Sold.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Pricedo,

Who makes the gun lock in the photo? I've looked for years for a lock suitable for a straight stock lever action. The locks Marlin ships with their rifles doesn't suit me.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver