450 mongo

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
f100cleveland

450 mongo

Post by f100cleveland »

Has anyone ever tried this. I have found some .444 brass and plan on fireforming it to my chamber. At first I planed on loading it for .410 shot shells but did some research and have read that it improves accuracy of long chambered 45colt/410 guns loaded with bullets. It puts the bullet closer to the rifling and allows for a better seal. I don't plan on a hot load (1000fps or under) just a more accurate one. If its not safe let me know otherwise some loading data and comments would be welcomed.
dannyabear

Re: 450 mongo

Post by dannyabear »

I have loaded several and shot them in my Super Commanche pistol, I think I used 44 mag loads because of the larger case.
I'm not recomending this, because of all the unknowns, its just something I tried. I've been looking for a matched pair, it appears to be built stronger.
You're in pretty un charted water here/be careful
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

f100cleveland wrote:...At first I planed on loading it for .410 shot shells but did some research and have read that it improves accuracy of long chambered 45colt/410 guns loaded with bullets. It puts the bullet closer to the rifling and allows for a better seal.
I had considered a number of ideas such as this for bridging the distance the 45 Colt bullet must travel in the .410 cylinder of my CJ4510 but there was no way to correct the huge forcing cone and the amount of freebore it provided once the bullet was in the barrel. Bottom-line is I gave up, selling the CJ4510, and used the funds to buy another R92.
Michael
f100cleveland

Post by f100cleveland »

i'm going to do alot more research on my chamber and forcing cone to see what length I can get away with. Its nice to know a machinist that can help me out too. When I was in the army they taught us to throw hand grenades so for sure I don't want to be hanging on to this thing if for any reason I think it would go boom.

Post by 0369 »

I fireformed a bunch from 303 British brass but the project got put on hold. In hind sight I should have used 444 since it took 2 tries for the 303 to fill out but it's what I had an excess of on hand. I made a 450 Mongo reamer and have a frame started with a barrel blank cut but that's as far as it went since I decided to stick with 45 Colt for now.
I found quite a bit of information searching for 450 Mongo so it's out there.