Stripping the black finish

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
wfparys

Stripping the black finish

Post by wfparys »

Today I used mineral spirits to "try " and remove the black finish on my Rossi Puma. It did not work very well. Any suggestions?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Stripping the black finish

Post by akuser47 »

You mean the blueing? if so naval jelly will strip anything down to the base metal. If you mean the metal anyways most lowes and hardware stores have it.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think he is talking about the stain. My 480 Ruger chambered Puma was stained so dark that I thought it had a synthetic stock! I started refinishing it a couple of weeks ago, was derailed by other projects, and the started again this evening. I've have been wet polishing it with 0000 steel wool. The "wet" being provided by mineral spirits. It is considerably lighter than when I started and more of a walnut color which which will be fine by me. I'm letting it dry overnight to see what it looks like and if it is anything but black, I will go ahead and TruOil it. This was one ugly rifle so I don't have a lot to lose in this project.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:I think he is talking about the stain. My 480 Ruger chambered Puma was stained so dark that I thought it had a synthetic stock! I started refinishing it a couple of weeks ago, was derailed by other projects, and the started again this evening. I've have been wet polishing it with 0000 steel wool. The "wet" being provided by mineral spirits. It is considerably lighter than when I started and more of a walnut color which which will be fine by me. I'm letting it dry overnight to see what it looks like and if it is anything but black, I will go ahead and TruOil it. This was one ugly rifle so I don't have a lot to lose in this project.
I unceremoniously apply the Tru-Oil right over top of the Rossi "shoe polish" and then rub it in with a clean lint free rag.
The Rossi shoe polish mixes with Tru-Oil on the stock to form a walnut colored stain with wood preserving qualities (imparted by the Tru-Oil).
I find the total removal of the Rossi shoe polish before applying the Tru-Oil to the Brazilian mystery wood results in an anemic white "birch wood" kind of finish reminiscent of the cheap 303BR Lee Enfied army surplus stocks.......too light for my liking. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
wfparys

Post by wfparys »

No, not the bluing. The black finish on the wood. I want to refinish the wood stock and forearm.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Ok I'm on board now lol. I have used acetone and it worked well lightened up my dads alot.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here is how black my rifle was, It has lighted up quite a bit and looks more like walnut now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
wfparys

Post by wfparys »

Thanks for all the replies

thanks for all the replies.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Here is how black my rifle was, It has lighted up quite a bit and looks more like walnut now.
Rossi must have used your stock to stir the hot tar pot for a roof repair before they finally put it on your rifle.......waste not, want not.
It's the darkest one I've ever seen.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
wfparys

Post by wfparys »

His is similar to mine.