45-70 Brass???

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 45-70 Brass???

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:
joec wrote:All of my brass on hand is Starline in 45-70 since I've not shot another ammo through it other than my own reloads. Now 45 Colt and have about a 1000 Winchester brass which I did buy factory loaded in cowboy loads. I've since acquired another 1000 Starline in a club group buy. 45 ACP and 9mm all factory ammo mostly Federal for 45 ACP and RWS (excellent brass by the way) for my 9mm. I did just get 1000pc of 9mm range brass for $20 cleaned with most decapped.
The local police practice their tactical stuff at our well wooded outdoor range and the range grounds are a treasure trove of unfired brass once the smoke clears and our boys in blue have departed the premises.
I have bottles & bottles of once fire pistol brass on my gunroom shelves that I have gathered cleaned and sorted into calibers & brands ( mostly .38 SPEC, .40 S&W and 9mm Luger/Parabellum).

Unfortunately not many police service issued firearms in .45-70 these days but I have found a lot discarded at the range left by non-reloading shooters & hunters.
Pretty easy to tell the once fired stuff especially when you're standing in the next shooting station.
I practice at Bud's gun range a lot and one of the few in this area that don't consider fired brass theirs. I have a can with stuff I don't use though I've still tumbled and decapped it regardless. The only thing I dump is the 22 rim fire stuff I find.

I don't load that much though as I recently sold two progressive presses that I bought used and went with the Lee Classic Cast turret as it is just a better setup for my volume of production and style of reloading (precise). But then I've been shooting for just over half a century and just started reloading this year so still learning the ropes. I also only load 4 calibers since I'm not a gun collector either as to me other than cowboy action they are tools for self defense or getting food.
Joe