Nitro 100 powder

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

Nitro 100 powder

Post by OnTarget »

In my Lee load book, it says that Nitro 100 can be used in my 9mm loads. However went to buy some today and on the bottle it says not for use in handgun loads. Anyone used this powder for handgun loads? I know they made a new formula for the Nitro, but on Accurate's website the load page says for 9mm 147gr it says Nitro 100 NF is good for it? NF stands for new formula. Who knows? Any input would be appreciated.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Nitro 100 powder

Post by runfiverun »

any time I am unsure about a new powder I go straight to the source.
they might not show data because they haven't tested it yet.
or it might not meter well.
or it might be trouble.
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by OnTarget »

Got word from accurate the it is fine to use just make sure the load data states New Formula or NF. This is great news, since there are 4 more single pound containers at my lgs that no one is buying because it has "the do not use in handgun loads" label on it. It will be my little secret :lol: . Anyway just passing that info along for anyone esle interested.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

runfiverun wrote:any time I am unsure about a new powder I go straight to the source.
they might not show data because they haven't tested it yet.
or it might not meter well.
or it might be trouble.
Good plan.
When I first conjecture a trial load to further investigate & develop I routinely consult the the reloading manuals issued by the respective powder manufacturer and the bullet manufacturer as they know their own products best and the data in their manuals is obtained by actual experimental results (albeit in pressure barrels that are not the barrel the ammo will be fired in) rather than theoretical projections based on mathematical algorithms.
A program like Quickload would serve to corroborate the assumptions, interpolations and extrapolations derived from the manuals.
The best of all worlds approach would be to obtain pressure measurements from the actual gun the ammo will be fired from using the various piezoelectric pressure measuring devices available at reasonable cost today.
Before the electric revolution only manufacturers could afford the pressure barrels and copper crusher apparatus needed to measure chamber pressures generated by firing ammunition.
Now electronic equipment based on piezoelectric technology can be obtained at a reasonable cost so the average shooter can measure chamber pressures with good accuracy.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA