Just received my stainless .45 92 from Buds. What next

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
k80clay

Re: Just received my stainless .45 92 from Buds. What next

Post by k80clay »

pricedo wrote:I have a policy of not removing/altering any more steel or wood than is necessary to get the guns to where they need to be to do the jobs I purchased them for.
My minimally intrusive strip/clean/inspect/deburr-polish/lube regimen has resulted in dead-on accurate 92s I can cycle with my baby finger in the finger lever.
I can't see how it could get much better than that.
What I'm doing now is working great and I rarely mess with a system that is working great.
The "smoothing compound" methodology was suggested to me years ago as a method of loosening stiff Amadeo Rossi 92 actions.
Putting what is essentially grinding compound in the receiver and cycling the action a number of times seems like indiscriminate removal of metal and intentional premature wearing of parts to me but what do I know?
I chose to remove and smooth the conspicuous burrs and leave the rest of the metal alone.
It's gotten me the results I wanted.
But it's not indiscriminate. Flitz is rather mild as it is (it's not like it's blasting media), but it only works on the metal parts that come in contact, hence the parts that need to be polished. It's sort of like extrude honing. Parts only wear where there's contact. Take a closet door. If the door doesn't fit in the door frame, the door will rub and wear down. BUT, as soon as the door achieves clearance, the wear stops - it doesn't continue because there is no interference in the two parts. That's essentially what "break in" is, right? Not arguing a point, just a discussion point....
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

k80clay wrote:
pricedo wrote:I have a policy of not removing/altering any more steel or wood than is necessary to get the guns to where they need to be to do the jobs I purchased them for.
My minimally intrusive strip/clean/inspect/deburr-polish/lube regimen has resulted in dead-on accurate 92s I can cycle with my baby finger in the finger lever.
I can't see how it could get much better than that.
What I'm doing now is working great and I rarely mess with a system that is working great.
The "smoothing compound" methodology was suggested to me years ago as a method of loosening stiff Amadeo Rossi 92 actions.
Putting what is essentially grinding compound in the receiver and cycling the action a number of times seems like indiscriminate removal of metal and intentional premature wearing of parts to me but what do I know?
I chose to remove and smooth the conspicuous burrs and leave the rest of the metal alone.
It's gotten me the results I wanted.
But it's not indiscriminate. Flitz is rather mild as it is (it's not like it's blasting media), but it only works on the metal parts that come in contact, hence the parts that need to be polished. It's sort of like extrude honing. Parts only wear where there's contact. Take a closet door. If the door doesn't fit in the door frame, the door will rub and wear down. BUT, as soon as the door achieves clearance, the wear stops - it doesn't continue because there is no interference in the two parts. That's essentially what "break in" is, right? Not arguing a point, just a discussion point....
There's nothing wrong with arguing points.
These online forums are much better for meaningful discussion about guns, hunting & shooting than going to bars where hunters & shooters hang out.........don't have to put up with the noise of the heavy metal hippie music they play at pubs these days & the cigarette smoke.
Always nice to have an influx of new ideas.......forums are melting pots of old & new ideas...........every so often a novel idea or innovative solution or approach to a problem comes along that I can use......learning from the trials, tribulations and mistakes of others is a lot cheaper and less frustrating than making the mistakes yourself............that's exactly why I hang around gun forums.........NEW IDEAS.
I have developed successful solutions and strategies for accomplishing the goals I want to accomplish in regards to guns & shooting from ideas gleaned from this and other discussion boards.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
temmi

Post by temmi »

If you live close to Steve and you don't get him involved...

I just don't understand

Snake
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

temmi wrote:If you live close to Steve and you don't get him involved...

I just don't understand

Snake
Image :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Rio Grande

Post by Rio Grande »

Ranch Dog wrote:. . . Ended up just replacing the follower and magazine tube springs with those from the SmithShop.com. I probably didn't need to do that.
Have the Gunsling spring kit but have only replaced the mag spring & Follower (The Smith Shop). See no need to go beyon that so far, My 92 is accurate & smooth. Shoot it & enjoy it.
"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man" - Lucky Ned Pepper