Just received my stainless .45 92 from Buds. What next

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
bugsbunny45

Just received my stainless .45 92 from Buds. What next

Post by bugsbunny45 »

I just picked my Stainless 92 in .45 Long Colt from Buds had it shipped to my FFL today 03-26-2013.
Now what next I like a lot of yall I am in a very unique situation on making my upgrades.
I actually like about 15 minutes from Steves Shop. I like what I see in his kits to slick up my 92 But I really dont want to cut springs and use a dremel.
The gunslinger kit seems a better pick but I will stiil needs the metal follower.
And yes at some point I would love to use my 92 in CAS +guns
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Just received my stainless .45 92 from Buds. What next

Post by golfish »

Shoot it
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

golfish wrote:Shoot it

sound advice ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Clinebo

Post by Clinebo »

Give it a good inspection for defects. Clean the gunk out of it. Oil it up. And send some rounds downrange! See how it shoots. And don't forget the pics. ;)
bugsbunny45

Post by bugsbunny45 »

Will Do.....

Shoot and shoot some more...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great advice above and all I did with mine. I cleaned and lubed all of my 92s from inside out, tightened every thing up and then shot them. I'm not one to just start replacing stuff. Ended up just replacing the follower and magazine tube springs with those from the SmithShop.com. I probably didn't need to do that.
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

That was all I did with mine after going through all the horror Rossi scenarios in my head of how something must be wrong with this gun. For instance I was certain it wasn't going to feed longer 454 Casull cartridges because of reading about another one that wouldn't until the guides were adjusted with a file, but then made some long snap caps and it seems to feed them fine, even better than the short 45 Colt cartridges. Anyway I cleaned and reassembled and now it is just a great functioning rifle. About the only thing I did was give the forearm a little relief.
Clean, deburr, and shoot! That is about all the greatest majority of these guns actually need..
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

This place sometimes reminds me of the old scifi series of the 90s "Sliders" where the shows characters could via ultra sophisticated technological wizardry transport themselves to different parallel universes where everything looked the same but with important differences (like Hitler won WWII, or the South won the civil war, or old Amadeo Rossi never made a bad gun and was elected President of Brazil & immortalized with a life sized bronze statue in Brasília. :lol: ).
It's either a litany of range reports indicating real time problems or a "don't worry, be happy" Rossi love-in.
I prefer a fact based approach.
It is what it is guys and there HAVE been ongoing problems with Rossi Quality Control & Customer Service at least in the universe I have been waking up in for the past 61.5 x 365 mornings.
That's why being pro-active, diligent & thorough in regards to pre-purchase checks and tests is so important to avoid disappointments.
Subjective "wishful thinking-ish" or pessimistic yay-Rossi or nay-Rossi attitudinal embellishments serve no useful purpose.
I love my Rossis but rose colored glasses don't go with my complexion and hair color or my professional, pragmatic training as a process engineer.
As I said before abandon the group approach with Remlins & Rossis.
The good ones look identical to the bad ones.
Treat each gun as an individual and AVOID PRE-CONCEPTIONS and diligently do your pre-purchase inspections & tests.
That is the way mostly positive range reports will appear on Rossi Rifleman because the dud guns will be left on the racks for dealers and Braztech to deal with.
Subjective, "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" wishful thinking is the exclusive domain of kids on Xmas eve.......it has no useful place in the practical adult world.
Dealing with issues head on in the cold hard light of reality with our eyes wide open and doing our pre-purchase checks & becoming proficient at Rossi trouble shooting & repair techniques will make our Rossi Rifleman world the best it can possibly be.

And YES........there is a definite compromise between quality control & price at play in regards to Rossi rifles.
Life is full of compromises.
I would rather pay $500 for a basic, in-the-rough gun where NIB functionality expectations are less than pay $3500 for a 99.9% rifle like a Turnbull custom 86 or 92.
That is a choice I willingly & knowingly make going in but I improve my chances of success in acquiring a good gun immeasurably by adopting an aggressive, proactive ,"eyes wide open" pre-purchase inspect & test approach.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I'm sure my time is coming when I get burned by Rossi, but so far that hasn't been the case. :mrgreen:
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:I'm sure my time is coming when I get burned by Rossi, but so far that hasn't been the case. :mrgreen:
It won't if you keep your eyes open and your wits about you and do your checks and tests.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA