rear sight

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: rear sight

Post by Model 52 »

Arktikos wrote:
You hit the good points of the tang sight. Not only does it do the things you mentioned well, but allows a lot more forgiveness flexibility as to height and placement of the front sight due to its ability for adjustment for windage and elevation. There are quite a few "Quigley" types who have turned shooting leverguns into a long range art form with these tang sights. I wish I had tried the tang configuration before now as I would have saved myself the money of a couple scopes and scout mounting hardware. I'm not saying the tang peep is superior to a scope, only that for someone with worsening eyesight, it runs a pretty close second and a great option for a levergun which for me is a closer range gun to begin with.
It's funny you should mention that.

I have a Model 94 with a Marbles Tang and a Lyman 17AHB globe front sight for longer range precision shooting - set up more or less like my .45-70 Quigley model Sharps.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Someday I am going to want to get the shooting skills needed to accurately lob those 400 yd shots! :mrgreen:
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
scottz

Post by scottz »

Arktikos wrote:Check Marbles site to confirm base and hardware / riser height although I would recommend the standard height.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Word of warning - The Marbles web sight incorrectly lists the short riser for the 92. You need the standard riser instead. My short riser is on at 50 yards when at maximum height. I ordered the standard height riser yesterday.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
I have never regreted putting a tang sight on a lever rifle. Even if I had to do some re/engineering to get it on.
But I also like a receiver sight on a lever I will need to do very fast "target pick up". The only way I can get fast target aquisition with a tang mount is remove the disk which is no great deal.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

scottz wrote:
Arktikos wrote:Check Marbles site to confirm base and hardware / riser height although I would recommend the standard height.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Word of warning - The Marbles web sight incorrectly lists the short riser for the 92. You need the standard riser instead. My short riser is on at 50 yards when at maximum height. I ordered the standard height riser yesterday.
Agreed, however my short riser is doing fine at 50 yds with plenty of adjustment. This is with the 92 454 Casull and shooting 250gr 45 Colt brass and Trail Boss plinkers as well as 300gr Lasercast and 2400. I did file down my Skinner front blade to a shorter height than the stock Rossi front bead.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Missionary wrote:Greetings
I have never regreted putting a tang sight on a lever rifle. Even if I had to do some re/engineering to get it on.
But I also like a receiver sight on a lever I will need to do very fast "target pick up". The only way I can get fast target aquisition with a tang mount is remove the disk which is no great deal.
Mike in Peru
I thought I had a solution with the need for a fast short range sight using a flip down buckhorn sighted in at 50 ft and then have my Marbles tang sighted in at 75 yds but after a trip to the range today that flip down buckhorn is coming off and getting replaced with a dovetail blank. Every time I pulled the trigger when using the tang recoil would flip the buckhorn up and I would have to flip it down again. Then I started to question whether I even needed a rear sight for bear defense so I tested myself by taping the buckhorn down and firing fairly rapid 5 shots at a paper plate at 25 yds with just the front sight and all five were fairly centered on target and about a 6" group. To be a legal "defense of life and property" shot here it needs to be within 30 ft so I don't see the need for the rear sight at all for that, and if I do need a longer shot I will have the time and the wherewithal to raise the tang..