92 back to Rossi

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 92 back to Rossi

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:I hear what you are saying but they could tightly control two parts and eliminate almost all warranty claims. Those parts are simply the left and right cartridge guides. That is all it would take.
I've been thinking about this issue with the guides some, and what I did to get my 92 454 Casull to cycle the longer cartridges and wonder why they couldn't have simply done this on the factory floor as part of the assembly process. What I keep coming up with is that it might be more problematic then it seems. First, which cartridge dimension specs would they use in determining which ammo will work? I was reading in the Lyman Cast Bullet manual on the 454 Casull that you couldn't use a bullet sized over .451 or they wouldn't fit in the Freedom Arms revolvers due to tight chamber dimensions. I got to thinking that I was using .452 sized bullets in my dummy rounds which with slightly larger diameters likely could tend to exacerbate the clearance issue of feeding this big longer straight walled round into the chamber, in a gun that wasn't originally designed to use straight walled in the first place. I realize the chamber size of the FA is not the same issue as feeding problem with the Rossi but it did get me thinking. Maybe had I went to the range with a factory loaded jacketed round which bullets would have been sized smaller it would have fed, and I suspect it just might have because of the relatively small amount of actual metal I did remove from the guides.

I guess my point is that this design is always going to be a little finicky with straight walled ammo, the tolerances such that we can't fully expect them to feed everything we handload for them without some tweaking in our own basements and garages. Maybe Rossi knows this, and choose not to add an extra hour, or even 15 minutes to the assembly time because of it, but rather try to get it close and move on.. We tend to make comparisons with all our gun purchaces to everything else we buy, how those items, electric drills, toasters, automobiles are expected to function perfectly, then wonder why can't our century + old designed sub $500 model 92's? When someone new to this design like myself shoves in say hand loaded rounds with oversized cast bullets, and then find it doesn't cycle them perfectly, throw up out arms and say that by even thinking about taking a file to the guides is giving Rossi a walk to keep churning out junk might not be the right way to think. I like to instead think of it like if I were going out and buying a new Jeep, with the expectation of it to have the ability to ford rivers and all sorts of other off road activities I would need to make modifications. Or maybe a better comparison would be if someone decided to start making Model T Fords again, not with modern engines and whatnot but real authentic cars, made the way they were originally. Couldn't expect them to work like a new Ford Focus, and nobody in their right mind would. Same with the straight walled chambered Rossi. I expect to get my finger nails dirty in order to make it right, or else pay Chiappa Firearms big bucks (or a gunsmith who knows the 92 issues) to make it right. Perhaps its either that or a complete redesign into something that modern factory machines can build without so much hands on fitting, but then it wouldn't at some point be a Model 1892 anymore.
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
captzeno

Post by captzeno »

Arktikos, Where abouts are you in SE Alaska. I DO LOVE THAT PIECE OF THE WORLD!!
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

captzeno wrote:Arktikos, Where abouts are you in SE Alaska. I DO LOVE THAT PIECE OF THE WORLD!!
living in Juneau but spend a lot of time traveling back and forth on the ferry to Haines where we are building a place where we will be hopefully moving to by years end.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The 92 is an old design which does not lend itself to modern, automated manufacturing processes.
Factories cannot afford to do the hand fitting and finishing and sell the gun at a competitive price.
Fine tuning by the owner is necessary.
In a properly tuned 92 all components must be matched........the gun, ammo, sights.
The 92 is and always was ammo sensitive.
I put a lot of work into my 3 x 92s to get them as slick and accurate as they are.
It was a labor of love and had nothing to do with practicality or efficiency.
From a purely practical point of view to put meat in the freezer it would have been far more sensible & much cheaper to buy one of the cheap plastic bolt gun/scope package guns that go for less than $500 and shoot MOA with factory ammo out of the box.
If you want something that is easy and cheap and no hassle you're much better off to buy one of the bolt rifle packages (gun and attached scope) offered by Weatherby, Savage or Ruger.
If you like working on legacy guns and developing a gun that has a lot of YOU in it the Rossi 92 is the way to go.
The cheap bolt gun packages are analogous to finished paintings in the frame with the wall hooks in an attached plastic bag.
The Rossi 92 leverguns are analogous to a "paint by number" set with brushes and paints (tools) needed to finish the job and you're going to have to get your hands dirty.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
captzeno

Post by captzeno »

Just came back from the gunshop where I purchased my m92 .357. The owner (that does action jobs on these guns) had taken my gun apart to see if he could identify the problems before sending it back. He said to me, "You're getting a refund" and gave me a check for purchase price plus tax. He said that this gun has a multitude of issues and that I'm not even going to put you through the bother of having to deal with it.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I don't know how many times I have read on these forums how people have slicked up their 92's in just a few hours. I could be wrong but I'm thinking Steve Gunz charges less then 200.00 for one of his action jobs and that includes parts. It seems to me Braztech could hire a couple more people, get them trained on polishing and fitting, then these people could do it in half the time seeing how they are doing it everyday.

I'm willing to pay the extra 2 hours of Brazilain wages for a gun thats already slicked up, wouldn't you?

I sent my new, none feeding gun back to Florida, they fixed it and it didn't cost me a dime, but I'm sure it cost Braztech a lot.

captzeno wrote:Just came back from the gunshop where I purchased my m92 .357. The owner (that does action jobs on these guns) had taken my gun apart to see if he could identify the problems before sending it back. He said to me, "You're getting a refund" and gave me a check for purchase price plus tax. He said that this gun has a multitude of issues and that I'm not even going to put you through the bother of having to deal with it.
Good to hear...
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

golfish wrote:.

I'm willing to pay the extra 2 hours of Brazilain wages for a gun thats already slicked up, wouldn't you?

I guess so. That said "slicking up" may be different than getting a gun that was designed for something other than straight walled cases to now feed hand loaded ammunition of varying COL's and with all the various WFN and SWC profiles and .002+ over bore diameter cast. Even Steve young says in his DVD that you have to try to find the ammunition that will feed in these guns, and that some just wont. I would bet if Rossi could design from scratch a lever action that could be made more simply and with less labor, using modern factory methods that were unheard of in the 19th century, much of the complaints and returns would vanish overnight. I have a Henry 22, which is a copy of an older Ithica probably designed in the 1960's, but made by using materials and modern factory methods and it IS the slickest action I can ever imagine having. However internally it isn't anything like a true authentic 1800's design at all like the Marlin 39 is, and as such it just will never be quite the same for me. Maybe that is just pure nostalgia and has no place in the 21st century but history and nostalgia is a piece of why I like the levergun, and likely what draws many people to the Rossi M92, it being a pretty darn good clone of the real McCoy.

I remember reading some of the former Marlin employees write about their final months working in North Haven for Remington and some of the hoops and demands they had to try to fulfill. One that sticks out is the 130 second timed assembled gun that the Rem bean counters felt necessary. Now I realize that the Brazilian employees may not make as much, but if Rossi is under similar time constraints as to profitability I just don't see how those workers could be expected to fit filing the guides into a 10 minute assembled gun, let alone a 2 minute one. This whole subject could be a part of the reason why the levergun went obsolete the first time around so many many decades ago when the bolt action took over. Just a whole lot less hassle building those, but oh how boring my world would be without my trusty, fast cycling, heavy hitting and FUN SHOOTIN lever actions!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

golfish wrote: I'm willing to pay the extra 2 hours of Brazilain wages for a gun thats already slicked up, wouldn't you?
Wishful thinking.
I wish the government had kept its promise to quit collecting income tax after WWII was over.
And if I could change only 3 numbers on my lottery tickets I would be a multi-millionaire today.
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. :mrgreen:

NOPE !.....I want the guns to stay cheap & challenging.

If I want expensive & easy I'll get an Italian clone or a Turnbull.

I'm not intimidated by the prospect of grabbing a box of tools and ripping a gun apart and fixing problems so I'll keep the cash saving in my pocket thank you very much.

**There are slick-in-box expensive leverguns and there are rough-in-box cheap leverguns BUT there ain't no slick-in-box cheap leverguns & people need to deal with that hard cold fact.

"Slick Rossi leverguns aren't born in Brazil.............they're made at your house."
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

pricedo wrote: [
NOPE !.....I want the guns to stay
Nope!! I want em to work out of the box. I'll pay the extra 2 hours of brazilian wages....I can afford the extra 20.00
captzeno

Post by captzeno »

Arktikos wrote:
captzeno wrote:Arktikos, Where abouts are you in SE Alaska. I DO LOVE THAT PIECE OF THE WORLD!!
living in Juneau but spend a lot of time traveling back and forth on the ferry to Haines where we are building a place where we will be hopefully moving to by years end.
I've been to Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Anchorage, Seward, Homer, Soldatna, Denali and various places in my three trips to Alaska. Gods Country...........