New 92 Rossi owner

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
tatwell

New 92 Rossi owner

Post by tatwell »

Hello to all. This is my first post, but I have read a lot on this forum and learned a lot. I bought a new 92 20" barrel in 45 colt earlier in the week. I had read the checklist and common problems, so I knew what to look for. The one I bought only has one flaw, the front sight dovetail is very crude, however that wasn't important enough to stop me from buying. When I got it home I did a thorough inspection and wiped the outside down and cleaned the barrel and chamber. I also checked all the screws and tightened those that were not snug, and some needed tightening.
I cycled it with 4 different 45 loads I had, all using a different bullet, from 160 gr up to some 265 grain loads I had. Maybe I just got lucky but mine fed everything I put through it with just a few minor glitches now and then, and after cycling the action about a 100 times or so those problems went away.
I went to the range today and shot those 4 different loads. I was only shooting at 25 yards, offhand, but all the loads shot well, especially with my 63 year old eyes. The loads used were light Trail boss loads with the 160, the other loads were fairly heavy. It is interesting to see what one of those 265 grain bullets does to an 10 by 10 block of wood, which is what my target was mounted on.Other than the called flyers I had what I consider great grouping, although the rifle does appear to shoot left. However, after looking at the front sight it does need to be moved left, but I didn't do any adjusting. I was more interested in accuracy, feeding and ejecting. I had a few times that the feed felt a little rough, but all in all after shooting about a 100 rounds the feed issues became fewer and fewer. The cases seemed to eject to the same place most of the time, to my right, but now and then one would go some other place, but nothing major. We had an impromptu bowling pin shoot at 25 yards and I ran them clean, 5 for 5.
So, my impressions as a new owner are that the rifle I have is a good one, and well worth what I paid for it. A 100 shots is enough to give me an idea as to what the rifle is capable of. I intend to change out the sights and get the tune up dvd and work it over, and maybe re-finish the stock, but other than that I don't plan on doing anything unless an issue crops up. All things considered my personal experience with this rifle leads me to believe that it is a good buy. I look forward to trying it on some deer this fall. Thanks to all who contributed to this forum, the information was very helpful to me.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: New 92 Rossi owner

Post by Missionary »

Gretings tatwel and welcome to the place.
That is great news on the Rossi. Really does the heart good when it all comes together.
My first was about the same. It is an Interarms model by Rossi. The second.. well that is another story that required alot of work. But good to read your success. Good shooting !
Remember to take the time and clean out that receiver as there is sure to be some metalic chips floating about.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
tatwell

Post by tatwell »

Thanks for the input. I am definitely going to clean the receiver. Seems like I saw a thread on here about what and how to do it. I'll look it up.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

tatwell wrote:Thanks to all who contributed to this forum, the information was very helpful to me.
You're welcome and gives much pleasure to see a fellow putting the information here on the forum good use. Welcome to forum!
tatwell wrote:I look forward to trying it on some deer this fall.
I'm looking forward to the pictures!
Michael
tatwell

Post by tatwell »

I thought I would update my original post on my Rossi 92 in 45 Colt. I am mainly a hunter and shoot for fun type, not a cowboy action shooter. So I wanted to see how my 92 would handle loads using bullets cast from the RCBS-270 SAA mold. In my case, using the lead that I have this bullet weighs 280 grains on average. I had some that I had cast years ago that I used in my 45 Ruger Vaquero, so I used them to see how they worked before I cast any more. I used the load from an article that Dave Scovil(sp?) wrote when this mold was first made. The load was 13.0 grains of Blue Dot that I put in new brass, the primer was Federal Large Pistol Magnum large pistol primer. I had wanted to try some Unique, but right now there isn't any to be had in my area, so I bought Blue Dot instead. Before I loaded my live rounds I made up a few dummies with just the bullet to verify that they would feed reliably in the Rossi, and they did feed perfectly. I tested this load at 25 yards from a rest and the results were encouraging. Three shot groups were around 1.5" with me doing the shooting. However, I had a friend with me who's about 30 years younger and with his young eyes he was getting 3 shot cloverleafs. The fired cases ejected perfectly and as mentioned I had no feed problems. I also noticed that Blue Dot burns very clean. I intend to load up a few more and chronograph them next week and see what the velocity is and how consistent it is. As a side note, I also loaded up a few rounds with the Hornady 250 grain jacketed hollowpoint with 14.0 grains of Blue Dot and the accuracy was equal to the cast bullet, however I prefer to shoot cast bullets, plus the RCBS 270SAA bullet has a great reputation with hunters and I think it will do all I need to do with a 45 Colt. So far this rifle has shot very well and hasn't malfunctioned, I am still pleased with my purchase and intend to slick it up and change sights in the near future.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Take your time with the tune up......Rome wasn't built in an hour or even a day.
Clean the receiver housing out thoroughly of any accumulated crud.....dirt, metal cuttings, rust, cosmoline.......wash the parts with alcohol or dechlorinated brake parts cleaner and inspect for and remove conspicuous burrs and rough spots.
Lubricate with a quality temperature insensitive machine oil that won't turn to viscous wax or freeze solid on a cold fall day.
When your doing the deburring & polishing BE A METAL MISER......in other words don't remove too much metal.......just the conspicuous burrs & rough spots.
If you take too much off you risk ruining the part & getting replacement parts from Rossi is like pulling teeth from a fully awake & unrestrained Grizzly Bear.........in other words VERY DIFFICULT. :mrgreen:
A couple of hours work for a lifetime of good service........a worthwhile investment. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA