COLORADO CHECKING IN

Tell us a bit about yourself!
KEN CO

COLORADO CHECKING IN

Post by KEN CO »

I am new to the Rossi Forum and came over from the Marlin owners and Cast boolit sites. I have many of the Ranch Dog Molds so you can guess my connection...
I have wanted a Marlin 1894 45LC in Stainless for years but they were never made in any numbers. I am looking a the Rossi 92 Stainless. I want to shoot it in CAS and was thinking of going with the 454 model.

Are any of you shooting the 454 using 45LC in Cowboy Competition?

I have read a few threads that say the 454 has a tighter chamber than the 45 any truth to that comment?

I have a Taurus Thunderbolt pump action in 45LC and it has a large chamber that takes a full charge of powder to seal the case to the chamber. this one is hard to shoot in Cowboy Competition due to the blow back. I guess custom oversize dies could help with the sealing issue.

Next question is where is a good online sight to buy one from. I have seen a few Puma's on line are they the same as the Rossi?

So many questions, just do not want to get burned like I do/did no the Taurus.

Ken in the Beautiful Colorado Front Range.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: COLORADO CHECKING IN

Post by Arktikos »

Welcome aboard! No CAS here but I have owned a Marlin in 45 Colt and now own a Rossi 454 Casull which until a new administration takes office and small rifle primers become available, I am forced to shoot 45 Colt in the Rossi. The 454 Casull chambers are much tighter than my old Marlin! That chamber was so oversized that if I didn't use at least 250gr I would get burnt powder back out the receiver and on my face whereas my 92 454 delights in shooting Trail Boss with 200gr with no sooty cases, no powder back at me, and it is a blast to shoot! The brass from my Rossi looks like I fired it from a 45 Colt revolver, no expanded cases at all. +guns
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
KEN CO

Post by KEN CO »

Thanks for the input. Sounds like I just need to find a 454 in stainless and get to loading the 45's.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

KEN CO wrote:Thanks for the input. Sounds like I just need to find a 454 in stainless and get to loading the 45's.
The only stainless 454 Rossi I know of is the 16 inch trapper version. I'd love to have one..

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

KEN CO wrote:I am new to the Rossi Forum and came over from the Marlin owners and Cast boolit sites. I have many of the Ranch Dog Molds so you can guess my connection...
I have wanted a Marlin 1894 45LC in Stainless for years but they were never made in any numbers. I am looking a the Rossi 92 Stainless. I want to shoot it in CAS and was thinking of going with the 454 model.

Are any of you shooting the 454 using 45LC in Cowboy Competition?

I have read a few threads that say the 454 has a tighter chamber than the 45 any truth to that comment?

I have a Taurus Thunderbolt pump action in 45LC and it has a large chamber that takes a full charge of powder to seal the case to the chamber. this one is hard to shoot in Cowboy Competition due to the blow back. I guess custom oversize dies could help with the sealing issue.

Next question is where is a good online sight to buy one from. I have seen a few Puma's on line are they the same as the Rossi?

So many questions, just do not want to get burned like I do/did no the Taurus.

Ken in the Beautiful Colorado Front Range.
Greetings Ken and welcome to the forum!

The one thing that Rossi does right, compared to Marlin, is deliver a close SAAMI spec chamber cut. Of course the SAAMI cut on the 45 Colt does have that wide web so you get that as well. Not as bad as a Marlin but wide enough to bell the web of the case. I'm pushing my R92 in 45 Colt to 35.0K PSI so it seals that cartridge up pretty tight but that is a level that would not work in your Thunderbolt both for the purpose of the firearm and your shooting intent.

There is a couple of benies with the 454 Casull chamber. Straight butt stock with a recoil pad and the threaded magazine tube ala Marlin 39A. Both of these features are worth this cartridge's consideration over the 45 Colt. The 454 Casull design cut correcting the large web cut of the 45 Colt is simply a plus.

I don't know how much hunting you have been able to engage in since moving to Colorado but I suspect this R92 would make a fine "dark timber" rifle for hunting elk or mule deer.
Arktikos wrote:The only stainless 454 Rossi I know of is the 16 inch trapper version. I'd love to have one..
Arktikos,

Rossi does make both the 16" & 20" stainless barrels in the 454 Casull. This one just sold on gunbroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =335224485
Michael
KEN CO

Post by KEN CO »

Michael,
Thanks for the update on the 454. Looks like the 20" is the one I need for SASS shooting to get the the magazine capacity up to 10 shells.

I do have my 1895GS for the future trips to the mountains. I have not made it into the woods yet but looking forward to it. My deck looks out to the Mountains of the Front Range and it sure makes me want to get out there.

Ken
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I didn't realize the stainless version came in 20" too, now there is yet another rifle I want! :roll:

Ken, the ability to load the 454 from either end is a nice feature and while I do like a load gate I often find it easier and faster, particularly with gloves on when it is cold out to load the gun from the muzzle end. I have even been thinking about making some "speed loaders" out of clear vinyl tubing once the great ammo drought of 2013 subsides (around 2016 maybe)..

The model 92 454 has quickly become my favorite all around levergun, one of those "if I could only have one gun" types of gun.. ..
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

welcome to the group.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
scottz

Post by scottz »

Welcome to the forum Ken. I'm down in Littleton.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk HD