Hammer spur

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
grandad

Re: Hammer spur

Post by grandad »

fairchildfarms: Thanks for reply, I actually looked on shoprossi site and they advertise one to fit their single action hammers.
I would think it possible to modify to suit.
Australia is the other side of the world and buying items from the USA is an effort.
Grandad
fairchildfarms

Post by fairchildfarms »

I found a new hammer spur made by carlson chokes, it says for rossi and marlin but it will not work on the rio grande. It will fit, but it makes contact with the tang and will not allow the hammer to fully cock. I'm not sure if any will work with the rio grande since the spur is so close to the tang when cocked?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

grandad wrote:Ranch Dog.
was looking on shoprossi sight and see a hammer spur to fit all single action hammers.
do you have any idea whether it would fit RG. OR modified to fit.

Regards Grandad
Grandad, I'm really sorry I missed your question. I have tried filling down the single shot hammer extension but it ended up removing quite a bit of the metal. Once on it interfered with the bolt contact.

I've been studying this thought and might draw it up on CAD and send it to Rossi. In that the hammer is so thick and wide, they should drill and tap the hammer completely through. The hammer extension could be a single length of stock, threaded to match the tap with the threaded portion the width of the hammer. It could be screwed in from either side and secured with LocTite.
hammer_mod.jpg
If that is too weak an area, it could be moved further forward. Of course, this doesn't help those of us that already have the rifle but I given up searching for an extension that fits. No different than my 1950 Marlin's nothing fits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

fairchildfarms wrote:I removed the hammer spur from my single shot rossi in .223, and it would not fit the RG 45-70, it was a little to narrow. You might be able to file some off the inside of the spur and make it fit, as it was only a little to narrow. I don't have my micrometers here now, but can check it out later and let you know. Mike
I tried that and got it to fit however the bolt hits it so it won't work either. About the only why I could see to do it but wouldn't without an extra hammer is drill and tap the hammer then add a bolt type of setup. However you would want it a bit larger than the threaded screw in section so a lathe would probably be needed to make it look decent. I thought about it but didn't seem worth the effort since I have no problem cocking mine with the scope on.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:...didn't seem worth the effort since I have no problem cocking mine with the scope on.
That is where I'm at joec, I've gotten use to it and it just doesn't matter any more.
Michael