WOW - Is this Rossi R92 running slick or what?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: WOW - Is this Rossi R92 running slick or what?

Post by pricedo »

I found with cycling problems that burrs & imperfections in the throat of the chamber and on the carrier were the usual culprits.
My 92/357 was having a problem with the 158 grain lead SWCs in full length 357 cases until I polished off a small ridge shaped imperfection at the entrance to the chamber mouth that was barely perceptible to the naked eye.
Once that little sucker was gone I had no problem with lead SWCs in either 38 SPL or 357 cases.
The carrier and the chamber mouth need to as smooth as a baby's business end.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
hutch

Post by hutch »

pricedo wrote:I found with cycling problems that burrs & imperfections in the throat of the chamber and on the carrier were the usual culprits.
My 92/357 was having a problem with the 158 grain lead SWCs in full length 357 cases until I polished off a small ridge shaped imperfection at the entrance to the chamber mouth that was barely perceptible to the naked eye.
Once that little sucker was gone I had no problem with lead SWCs in either 38 SPL or 357 cases.
The carrier and the chamber mouth need to as smooth as a baby's business end.
Hey pricedo,

TX for that info. Sorry if these two questions seem elementary, but 1) was the 'ridge' you refer to at the top of the chamber entrance or the bottom? 2) How did you polish it away? A dremmel soft tip, or something else?

- hutch
Xshot

Post by Xshot »

hutch - I polished the bottom of the chamber mouth between the 5 - 7 o'clock position. I used a dremel with a soft cone tip and Flitz -lowest RPM. I then used Flitz to polished the chamber. A well used bore brush wrapped tightly with with a larger patch and worked it in and out at low speed. I chucked a cleaning rod into a variable speed drill. Since the receiver is already completely disassembled, I completely cleaned the receiver, chamber and bore with brake cleaner (non-chlorinated) and re-lubed everything.
hutch

Post by hutch »

Xshot wrote:hutch - I polished the bottom of the chamber mouth between the 5 - 7 o'clock position. I used a dremel with a soft cone tip and Flitz -lowest RPM. I then used Flitz to polished the chamber. A well used bore brush wrapped tightly with with a larger patch and worked it in and out at low speed. I chucked a cleaning rod into a variable speed drill. Since the receiver is already completely disassembled, I completely cleaned the receiver, chamber and bore with brake cleaner (non-chlorinated) and re-lubed everything.
Xshot - Had the opportunity/time to strip the R92 and polish the chamber mouth per your suggestion. Used a soft cone/dremel low and JB. Finished up with Flitz. Turned out nice, (Pic attached) Flushed everything out, re-lubed (eezox) & got everything back together. Hate that extractor/spring/collar + bolt + lever process. Getting better at it every time tho. Made a big difference on the rounds it was choking on a little bit. That, plus a tighter crimp with my Lee factory crimp die and she is running very fast & smooth with everything I've thrown at her. You may also note i the pic's how smooth I have the carrier between the polishing and dried eezox. Thanks for the great advice.

You may be able to see the chamber mouth polishing in this pic. I did notice that the bottom of the chamber mouth was already slightly beveled. Not my doing. It was that way. I just polished the edge from 5 - 7 o'clock. Then while I was at it, a 410 bore mop on a cleaning rod chucked into a variable drill to polish the chamber. (JB + Flitz) Not a lot, but enough to shine pretty good. Chamber may look a bit dirty in pic, but just because of cycling a bunch of rounds. Hey - you know I noticed that having taken a few curls off the mag spring a few tear downs ago, I can fit 11 rounds in the magazine.

Thanks again - 'tween you and Steve Young, this pretty sweet thing will fly now.

- hutch
Rossi 92 Chamber.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Xshot

Post by Xshot »

You're welcome hutch. Glad to hear thing are working our for you. Chamber mouth looks good. It's amazing what a little polishing does for the chamber and carrier. My carrier was as rough as a corn cob. I'm convinced the roughness caused cartridge alignment problems as the bolt pushes the cartridge rim along its surface.