Gunslinger vs Steve's guns kit

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Tazman1602

Re: Gunslinger vs Steve's guns kit

Post by Tazman1602 »

I have used BOTH kits for the five Rossi's I now own. The Steves Gunz DVD is PRICELESS for this rifle!

I use both kits because the gunslinger ejector spring is a bit stiff for my liking so I use Steves ejector spring exclusively and I can't BELIEVE the difference in feeding just this spring makes. The gunslinger kit has a longer, stiffer ejector spring so I don't use that one, but I do use the trigger spring, hammer spring, lever pin spring (this makes another HUGE difference in the way the lever opens and closes.....) and the trigger spring will give you a *really* nice 2-3lb trigger pull.

I clip the mag spring according to Steves instructions and use his mag follower also. A word of warning -- that trigger spring screw is SMALL and WEAK and can be STRIPPED very easily! Don't ask me how I know that. Easy to fix with a gun screw, tap, and dremel but a pain if you do strip it.

My wifes' model 92 in .357/.38 was really rough, she tried to steal MINE. I ran a little test with hers. Side by side with mine (which has already been slicked and sprung) showed that whatever mine would feed, hers new out of the box would_Not feed at all. So just for giggles and grins I changed the ejector spring (put in Steves) and the ejector spring ONLY and put it back together. After doing that, feeding issues went away pretty much. After slicking and deburring and putting the Gunslinger springs in it feeds about like mine does which is just about anything that has been loaded properly and had the C.O.L. set right. I find a max C.O.L. of about 1.570=1.590 will work, but the shorter the better so I have bought several bullet molds from Tom at Accurate molds which have the proper nose length for Rossi's. He has been very helpful to me with this.

To each his own, but this is my personal experience based on the five I have currently bored and stroked.............

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Tazman1602 wrote:I have used BOTH kits for the five Rossi's I now own. The Steves Gunz DVD is PRICELESS for this rifle!

I use both kits because the gunslinger ejector spring is a bit stiff for my liking so I use Steves ejector spring exclusively and I can't BELIEVE the difference in feeding just this spring makes. The gunslinger kit has a longer, stiffer ejector spring so I don't use that one, but I do use the trigger spring, hammer spring, lever pin spring (this makes another HUGE difference in the way the lever opens and closes.....) and the trigger spring will give you a *really* nice 2-3lb trigger pull.

I clip the mag spring according to Steves instructions and use his mag follower also. A word of warning -- that trigger spring screw is SMALL and WEAK and can be STRIPPED very easily! Don't ask me how I know that. Easy to fix with a gun screw, tap, and dremel but a pain if you do strip it.

My wifes' model 92 in .357/.38 was really rough, she tried to steal MINE. I ran a little test with hers. Side by side with mine (which has already been slicked and sprung) showed that whatever mine would feed, hers new out of the box would_Not feed at all. So just for giggles and grins I changed the ejector spring (put in Steves) and the ejector spring ONLY and put it back together. After doing that, feeding issues went away pretty much. After slicking and deburring and putting the Gunslinger springs in it feeds about like mine does which is just about anything that has been loaded properly and had the C.O.L. set right. I find a max C.O.L. of about 1.570=1.590 will work, but the shorter the better so I have bought several bullet molds from Tom at Accurate molds which have the proper nose length for Rossi's. He has been very helpful to me with this.

To each his own, but this is my personal experience based on the five I have currently bored and stroked.............

Art
The same way I did mine and Steve's ejector spring puts the cases right at my feet instead of 6' behind me. I also found short ammo won't feed in my 45 Colt when I tried someone hand loaded black powder that was 1.540.
Joe
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I don't think I would want to disassemble for the first time a M92 without that video. I can get it apart okay, but its the putting back together that I would have been lost on. My new 92 didn't need any of the mods that Steve sells or suggests. The ejector that came with the gun if I lever aggressively will pop the empty about head height, if I do it slowly enough sometimes the case wont even leave the receiver, just tip 90 degrees and sit on top. The trigger is fine for a field gun. Probably in the 4 lb range which is a little heavier that I like for target shooting but doesn't seem a problem and I don't like too light a trigger in winter anyhow because with any sort of light glove it is harder to squeeze lightly on the trigger. Don't necessarily assume you need to modify just because everyone else does. Everyone's needs and preferences are different.
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
lv2tinker

Post by lv2tinker »

Arktikos wrote:I don't think I would want to disassemble for the first time a M92 without that video. I can get it apart okay, but its the putting back together that I would have been lost on. My new 92 didn't need any of the mods that Steve sells or suggests. The ejector that came with the gun if I lever aggressively will pop the empty about head height, if I do it slowly enough sometimes the case wont even leave the receiver, just tip 90 degrees and sit on top. The trigger is fine for a field gun. Probably in the 4 lb range which is a little heavier that I like for target shooting but doesn't seem a problem and I don't like too light a trigger in winter anyhow because with any sort of light glove it is harder to squeeze lightly on the trigger. Don't necessarily assume you need to modify just because everyone else does. Everyone's needs and preferences are different.
From my limited experience with the Rossi's, I agree 100% with Arktios.
Just Clean-it, Lube-it, Shoot-it. :D
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

lv2tinker wrote:
Arktikos wrote:I don't think I would want to disassemble for the first time a M92 without that video. I can get it apart okay, but its the putting back together that I would have been lost on. My new 92 didn't need any of the mods that Steve sells or suggests. The ejector that came with the gun if I lever aggressively will pop the empty about head height, if I do it slowly enough sometimes the case wont even leave the receiver, just tip 90 degrees and sit on top. The trigger is fine for a field gun. Probably in the 4 lb range which is a little heavier that I like for target shooting but doesn't seem a problem and I don't like too light a trigger in winter anyhow because with any sort of light glove it is harder to squeeze lightly on the trigger. Don't necessarily assume you need to modify just because everyone else does. Everyone's needs and preferences are different.
From my limited experience with the Rossi's, I agree 100% with Arktios.
Just Clean-it, Lube-it, Shoot-it. :D
+1
I didn't do any major grinding on my M92/454 except to lighten the loading gate spring which was quite stiff NIB........that was done with padded pliers & a fine grained round file.
When I originally stripped the gun for cleaning & lubing I removed any conspicuous burrs then & there with a small jewelers file.
Why would I not do that when I had the gun stripped down and the opportunity was at hand??
The BEFORE vs AFTER difference in the M92/454s cycling after my new gun tune-up regimen was like night & day.
My M92/454 is a hunting/survival/predator defense gun & I don't do the CAS thing.
Everybody's needs and preferences are indeed different as Arktikos said.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Doc_Floyd

Post by Doc_Floyd »

How much relieving of the metal on that spring was necessary? My new RG4570SS is so stiff I am unable to get cartridges into the magazine.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Doc_Floyd wrote:How much relieving of the metal on that spring was necessary? My new RG4570SS is so stiff I am unable to get cartridges into the magazine.
My 92 didn't need a great deal of it however my RG 45-70 needed more but took off just a bit and tested it before taking off more. I did both the same way as well.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Doc_Floyd wrote:How much relieving of the metal on that spring was necessary? My new RG4570SS is so stiff I am unable to get cartridges into the magazine.
Trial & error is the only way.
Take a little off the inside of the flat spring at a time & reassemble and try loading ammo until you get it just right.
You might have to do this several times.
Take your time.......if you try and do a rush job and take too much metal it won't grow back & the loading gate will be "sloppy".
The basic principles governing loading gate springs in leverguns in regards to adjusting them are the same whether the gun is a 92, a 1895, a 336 or a RG..........definitely not rocket science. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

I removed 1/3 of the width with a grinder, carefully. Keep water available and dont let the spring get hot. Works much easier now and is a pleasure to load. Also, I polished the inside of the receiver where the cartridge rubs. It was sharp and rough.