Tru-oil and Tung oil

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Gabby

Tru-oil and Tung oil

Post by Gabby »

I was reading the post on stock refinishing method using Armor oil and tru-oil, for quick drying time. I tried to find tru-oil and could not. Is Tung oil the same product. I picked up some armor-all and tung-oil but I'm hesitant to try it. I got formby's tung-oil. The tung-oil has a 12 hour drying time. I might try it on a piece of pine first to check drying time and compatability. Any imfo. will be appreciated.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Tru-oil and Tung oil

Post by Arktikos »

My bottle of Birchwood Casey Tru oil says it is made from Linseed oil and other natural oils so I doubt it is the same. I've been using tung oil by the gallon on the beams of our new house I am building and always wondered what it would look like on a gun stock, but not enough to actually try it. The Tru oil is what you want, and am surprised you couldn't find it. It isn't at the paint, lumber yard stores, but any gun store that sells accessories for guns should have small bottles of it..
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Xshot

Post by Xshot »

Gabby wrote:I was reading the post on stock refinishing method using Armor oil and tru-oil, for quick drying time. I tried to find tru-oil and could not. Is Tung oil the same product. I picked up some armor-all and tung-oil but I'm hesitant to try it. I got formby's tung-oil. The tung-oil has a 12 hour drying time. I might try it on a piece of pine first to check drying time and compatability. Any imfo. will be appreciated.
I gave my 92 the Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil and Armorall treatment. It work very well and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I did clean the original wood and apply a Valspar stain over the original Rossi stain to even the tone and highlight the grain. It work very well, because the original Rossi stain doesn't come close to sealing the wood, which allow the newly applied stain to penetrate.

I rubbed in 6 coats of the Tru-oil with Armorall. Sealed the wood nicely and vastly improved the appearance.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea it sells out fast at midway and brownells that speaks to its awesome effectiveness and ease of use. Keep looking there is a big difference between the two. I love tung oil as well, but both have different results in the end and tru oil is the better in my eyes. they have some instock here at midway
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=tru+oil+
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!