to good to pass up

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: to good to pass up

Post by golfish »

I'm thinking about it but I just don't see a return on my money. I may have went through 300 rounds last year, 300 the ten years before that and maybe 200 rounds so far this year. I thought my son would like it more, maybe when he gets a little older. We started shooting clay birds but the 12 gauge are easy to find and cheap too buy.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I have 2 Lee table mounted presses and about 3 of the Lee hand presses.
I hand load some and shoot factory ammo when I can get it cheap in bulk sales.
I buy hard cast lead bullets or buy the quality and economical HSM Bear Load 430 grain HC LEAD ammo for my arsenal of 45-70s cause I don't have the room, facilities, desire or TIME to work with molten lead around the house.
I can't think of a handier gun for close in brush work than your 16" 44 Mag levergun.
Congrats and may it keep your belly full and your carcass alive & in one piece out in the bush. :mrgreen:
Last edited by pricedo on 24 Mar 2013 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

golfish wrote:I'm thinking about it but I just don't see a return on my money. I may have went through 300 rounds last year, 300 the ten years before that and maybe 200 rounds so far this year. I thought my son would like it more, maybe when he gets a little older. We started shooting clay birds but the 12 gauge are easy to find and cheap too buy.
You have a point if a few hundred rounds a year is all you have a desire to shoot and have no interest in taking on another pastime activity and are happy with what factory offerings there are and thus don't have a need to tailor and improve the ammunition for accuracy to your particular firearms, or find the perfect load/bullet combination for the animals you hunt, at the ranges you are likely to shoot game at etc. I guess the point is there are more reasons to hand load than to just save money and for me, it was the money that got me into it but I am very certain I haven't "saved" any money thus far. but I surely have put a LOT more lead down range however!! +guns
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

As far as the Rossi leverguns which are the subject matter of this board are concerned I'm shooting a hunting/defense/survival gun designed for short range and "minute of deer/elk/bear/moose" accuracy.
I don't see where fine tuning is an issue.
I have a couple of bolt actions with glass & pillar bedded stocks, Krieger barrels & Surgeon actions left over from my bench rest days where fine tuning was not only A issue but THE issue.
The domain of heavy brush hunting & survival leverguns is a very different world.
With my 92s it boils down to whether the cartridge will feed efficiently through the action and has the correct bullet and sufficient muzzle energy to make a FAST(important for dangerous game), clean kill down range.
1" one way or the other side ways or up or down at the ranges I hunt my 92s is totally irrelevant to their designed & intended purpose.
If I need a longer range, more accurate gun I have several scoped bolt actions that will do that job better.
My 92s are dead-on accurate.......that's a "bragging rights"bonus NOT a practical necessity for the jobs I task them to.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:As far as the Rossi leverguns which are the subject matter of this board are concerned I'm shooting a hunting/defense/survival gun designed for short range and "minute of deer/elk/bear/moose" accuracy.
I don't see where fine tuning is an issue.
I have a couple of bolt actions with glass & pillar bedded stocks, Krieger barrels & Surgeon actions left over from my bench rest days where fine tuning was not only A issue but THE issue.
The domain of heavy brush hunting & survival leverguns is a very different world.
With my 92s it boils down to whether the cartridge will feed efficiently through the action and has the correct bullet and sufficient muzzle energy to make a FAST(important for dangerous game), clean kill down range.
1" one way or the other side ways or up or down at the ranges I hunt my 92s is totally irrelevant to their designed & intended purpose.
If I need a longer range, more accurate gun I have several scoped bolt actions that will do that job better.
I sorta remember you mentioning this once or maybe twice before! :mrgreen: Of course you are right, you can kill most any animal with most any load and with most bullets out there. Sizing of the bullets for a particular gun's barrel size is also irrelevant if all the gun need do is put meat on the table it is easy to clean up the lead left in the barrel. . Maybe a few dozen rounds a year anyhow and within a hundred yds it won't be putting much demand on a cartridge or the gun other than to go bang and send it's payload on its way.. I guess I like tinkering with the guns I own to try to make them perform better and in doing so make myself a better shot as well. What the hell it keeps me out of the bars.. :-D

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Arktikos wrote: thus don't have a need to tailor and improve the ammunition for accuracy to your particular firearms, or find the perfect load/bullet combination for the animals you hunt, at the ranges you are likely to shoot game at etc.

I haven't hunted in 40 years....the first post in this thread pretty much spelled out everything.