Back in LeverGun Land

Tell us a bit about yourself!
RedJack63

Back in LeverGun Land

Post by RedJack63 »

Coastal South Carolina here.
Just picked up one of the Rossi RioGrande 45/70's.
Was in my local, sort of browsing for a "gun of all work", asking about used 30/30's.
I happened to mention liking the 45/70 and the fellow behind the counter placed temptation squarely in my path.
I hadn't really intended to buy that day but he pulled up the listing for the Rio and made me a price I couldn't refuse.
So I ordered the gun and a couple boxes of the old Remington 405grain load. It's a bit mild, but I'm intimately familiar with it.
I've owned three different Marlin 45/70's over the years including one guide gun, and a semi-vintage Remington Rolling Block.
When the gun arrived I was favorably impressed with the looks of the piece and the trigger pull made me happy immediately. I took it to the house, broke it down and cleaned off a burr or two. Also I did some work on the loading gate. *lol* I like the ends of my fingers, and it was sharp enough to use as a backup weapon.
I have a vintage Lyman All American 4x to go on top of it at some point, but for now I dropped an NCStar Tac 3 4x32 {complete with silly zombie reticle} onto the rail. It's goofy, but it works and it's quick. And if something awful happens to it I won't cry any tears.
With this combo the Rio shot well {touching holes} at 25 yards, which is what I had available at the moment. Lighter and better balanced than the Marlins, I noticed the handling differences but didn't really notice the recoil difference.
"Gun of all work" means it has to survive through living behind the seat of my truck, or a scabbard on the forks of the old trailbike, or schlepped through a danged swamp. Pig hunts, deer seasons, or anything else I may need it to do. A bored out 336 should be just about perfect for this.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Back in LeverGun Land

Post by akuser47 »

welcome glad to have you please report your findings with you rg
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome RedJack to Rio Grande land. I have the 45-70 Govt model as well and have really taken a shine to it and it is what you want it to be. I shoot mine with the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 and it claimed it's share of feral hogs and South Texas whitetails within the first few weeks of ownership. Liked it so much I ended up buying two of the 30-30s, turning one into a 38-55 Win.
Michael
RedJack63

Post by RedJack63 »

Ranch Dog wrote:Welcome RedJack to Rio Grande land. I have the 45-70 Govt model as well and have really taken a shine to it and it is what you want it to be. I shoot mine with the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 and it claimed it's share of feral hogs and South Texas whitetails within the first few weeks of ownership. Liked it so much I ended up buying two of the 30-30s, turning one into a 38-55 Win.

Yeah, I pored over your posts on the 38/55 Win conversion...Tempting.
And I envy you your pig harvesting opportunities.
I've been a 45/70 devotee since I bought my first one.. I think I was 19 at the time.
I'm holding off on posting results till I try some handloads... Well... Providing I can find some components in the current market. I have been contemplating going over to cast bullets, but the real bottleneck{at least right now} is primers.
My old load, which is ingrained in my memory, {[CYA Section]quoted for reference only} was..
37 grains of 3031
CCI Large Rifle Primer
405 grain Speer bullet
Remington fired brass.

Which I think everyone will note is not exactly a barn burner. But it is reliable, consistent, and has shot good groups in three Marlins, a Remington RB, and a BFR revolver. I am however thinking I would like to replace the 405grn JSP with a 400 to 500grn cast bullet. Depending on the viability of the OAL in this rifle.
*grin*
Not a big "lighter bullet going faster" proponent for the uses I want this gun for. I have other rifles to do that with.
'Sides... I like "running 'em over with a Buick" as a friend of mine said.