New R92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
redbanks2

New R92

Post by redbanks2 »

Greetings! Just joined the forum to share that I picked up my new R92 from the dealer tonight. First chance I had to cycle the action and was wondering how it was going to feel after reading some of the horror stories online. To my surprise, it was relatively smooth, or at least not rough. I checked out the fit and finish and the wood has some sanding lines, but otherwise fits well enough and actually has some color and looks good!

I got home and cycled some dummy 357M rounds with 158 LSWC's and it fed every one, including 38's. And the ejections with empty brass were still in the same room!

Maybe I got a good one. I already ordered a spring kit that's in the mail but I will try it on the range in a few days as is to see how it works. It'lI be my first time using Trail Boss powder. I have a scout scope planned to assist in the groups.

Thanks to this forum for hints and good reading that helped in the purchase.

I'll keep you posted.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New R92

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome redbanks! Sounds like your rifle is good to go! No doubt the 357 Mag is the fickle cartridge of the group. Somehow I got to good ones but I did check them out real good before I completed the sale.

Ahhh... another scout shooter! What scope you thinking of using?
Michael
redbanks2

Post by redbanks2 »

I have a 2X AIM brand cheapie that will be just fine for the R92. I had it on my .30-40 Krag but switched to a variable power AIM to see the targets better. I think it will be fine. I also have an Optima 2000 that I can take off of my 1911 if I want to reduce the visual impact of a scope. Options are great!
apache67

Post by apache67 »

Welcome! Glad to hear everything is working properly. Enjoy your new sidekick!
Apache67
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Welcome to another 357 Mag rifle shooter. Best advice I could give would be that if you don't already, start reloading. 357 Mag rifles are as hungry as a hollow legged teenage boy.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
redbanks2

Post by redbanks2 »

Good advice all!

Luckily, I have been reloading pistol rounds since the '80's and recently rifle. I can keep the new fun gun well fed. Just shot it for the first time yesterday. Over 100 rounds of 357 and 20 of 38S without a fuss! Using the 158 LSWC and Trail Boss. And the shells landed within a 3' radius.

I am not sure if I want to install the spring kit. Maybe to lighten the trigger pull a bit...

Overall, I am well pleased with the R92.