Saddle Ring

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
hardwickbv

Saddle Ring

Post by hardwickbv »

Recently picked up a 16" Stainless 45 Colt 92 and currently have it in peices to make the modifications suggested by Steves DVD.
Started investigating how to mount a sling to this gun and have seen the post where Ranch Dog has recomended a single point sling to be used with the saddle ring.
I have looked into the saddle ring and have found 2 types one with a single stud and another with what looks to be a U bolt.
What are the pros and cons of each and how much trouble would it be to install one orthe other on my gun which does not have a saddle ring

As you can tell I am new to lever guns but have an assortment of other makes and models from single shots to AR's with both revolvers and pistols in the mix.
I am very mechanically inclined and am not afraid to modify anything if it results in an improvement.

Thanks
Bob
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Saddle Ring

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greeting Bob and welcome to the forum. I'm going to do the work, I really cannot tell you much about though as I've been waiting on the parts for a bit now, need to check on them. I purchased "U Bolt" which is actually called the "Ring". What you would thing would be called the "ring" is called a "Loop". The Ring, more of a staple is bent forward on the forward end and threaded for a nut on the aft end. A "Nut" secures it all on the inside of the receiver. I went with this type of SR in that this is the type that was traditional used on the 92 and is what Rossi uses on the R92 SRC. As far as the work is concerned,I just don't see it being that big of a job after the other stuff I've had to do on the rifles.

I thought a member had mounted a brass stud on a rifle and I searched but could not find a related post. I truly did not understand the ring, even on my Marlins and Winchester, until I hunted with the R92s this year. I didn't understand anything about their purpose until I sat down and started to do some research on how they were used.

Once the parts are in I will schedule the work to be done in due time and will document it.
Michael
hardwickbv

Re: Saddle Ring

Post by hardwickbv »

Thanks forthe quick reply
I thing I am going to hold off until you have tried it.
Where do you order the ring and loop from?

The ones I found on Ebay were for a Winchester and neither looked like good option, what your talking about sounds better.
Until then I think I will go the Quake route.

Thanks Again

Bob