Is this normal for how the chamber should look?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is this normal for how the chamber should look?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Max_PSI_brass.jpg
This brass was fired at 62.0K PSI this week and there is nothing wrong with it. Again, relief you are looking at is normal. From the measurements I took on my rifle, Rossi has done what needed to be done and contained the work to inside the depth of the cartridge's web.
Arktikos wrote:As for brass expanding that is a good thing to watch. As I understand it, brass around the web that is stretching thin will get shiny and that is a dangerous clue. Is that correct?
You will notice that the brass that contacted the chamber walls is "brushed" from contact and extraction. I will shoot this brass 20 times I imagine.
Arktikos wrote:As for shooting max 454 Casull loads, I think that is going to be a one shot thing with the brass and then relegate it for plinkers or something..
I will pay shipping to send it to me and I will shoot them at least 19 more times! :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I shoot maximum loads in high pressure (over 60K psi) cartridge loads 3 times and 3 times only & check & measure them meticulously for damage each & every time.
After that they get used in target ( cowboy action level) loads.
I didn't come with any spare parts & some of the ones I got were "iffy" from the getgo.
Dad and I once tested an ancient old Iver Johnson revolver using the string & rubber tire method & it exploded.
The back strap and half the cylinder turned into shrapnel some of which was deeply imbedded in the rubber tire.
I'll never forget the sound of the explosion and the catastrophic destruction of the gun and made a commitment never to have my face involved in such a scenario.
Brass is cheap compared to a pair of eyes.
If you guys want to reload maximum charges into the same 454 Casull cases 20 times.... knock yourselves out.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Well there are two extremes to every approach. Maybe due to inexperience I'm overly cautious so think I'll take pricedo's idea of examining the cases well and seeing what if any they will need to be trimmed and go from there. 60k out of a levergun, wow RD, that's pretty awesome! 8-) I wonder what ole John Browning would think of that? :mrgreen:
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!

Post by 0369 »

Arktikos, I agree with RD on this one. 454 brass will have a thicker web than the 45 Colt so it probably won't even reach past it to expand. I'd measure the depth of the web then deduct it from the case length and compare it to the "chamfer". If it doesn't go past the web, load them as hot as you want with the obvious normal inspections.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

There's no dispute here.
I'm not saying that you CAN'T reload the cases to maximum pressure 20 times.
I'm just saying that I DON'T.
I probably don't shoot as much as RD and the rest of you guys and at the rate I shoot if I shot each new 454 case I own 3 times I'd probably be 190 years old before I went through them all.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

In any event, this is what you want to avoid.

It's a piece of range brass, but I bet the story behind it is interesting.

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Model 52 wrote:It's a piece of range brass, but I bet the story behind it is interesting.
My guess is Glock 17 firing vslightly out of battery.
Michael