Did NOT bring enough ammo to the range!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Did NOT bring enough ammo to the range!

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:
Model 52 wrote:Yes, the problem is not that Rossi makes bad rifles and carbines as on average they do not. Rather the problem is that they do not catch the small number of bad ones at the factory and correct them before they ship. You'll hear about most of those while happy campers won't be as vocal.

Mine was just fine and a pleasure to shoot.
I believe that is right. It will likely always be one of those makes that will be in the category of inspect first before buying, but really I wouldn't want it any other way as that is the very thing that makes these still AFFORDABLE guns, and are, at least with my gun, well made and a great value under the constraints of the money being charged. If I wanted one that was guaranteed perfect, there are alternatives and of course will fully expect to pay more. The older pre Remington Marlins were also a nice balance between QC and price and were also affordable. I have seen their price rise some while the quality dropped on the new ones, maybe a sign of the times...

+1
Exactly correct !
I don't expect a perfect, superbly finished rifle for $600 BUT I expect a sound & safe rifle.
By sound & safe I mean that other than for a few burrs or cosmetic furniture fixes I expect the gun mechanism to be basically functional and safe.
I have had no problem over the years tuning up and fixing Rossi rifles that fell short of the fit, finish and polish standard..........to be expected in a $500 - $600 rifle.
Having said that rifles that have "Dremel relieved" chambers and cartridge guides that need to be modified and shimmed do NOT fall within my definition of functional and safe.
If the rifle has major mechanical & safety issues back it goes for a new rifle or a full refund........bin there, dun that.

If you want beautiful and perfect out of the box every time see Doug Turnbull, he will be very willing to accommodate you...........BRING $3500 WITH YOU ! :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Model 52 wrote:Yes, the problem is not that Rossi makes bad rifles and carbines as on average they do not. Rather the problem is that they do not catch the small number of bad ones at the factory and correct them before they ship. You'll hear about most of those while happy campers won't be as vocal.

Exactly! About all you'll hear from the happy customers is bragging.

My son in law was here about an hour ago talking about getting a levergun. I told him that for the money, Rossi is the best going. Just be sure and inspect it good before he buys.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Cheap lessons learned from the misfortune of another (RD)

Post by pricedo »

+1
I truly believe the full statement above.
Unfortunately people tend to judge object collectives (Rossi rifles) like people collectives (ethnic groups) by the least and poorest examples of the lot......a couple of "lemon" rifles will sour the whole batch in people's minds.
And it is human nature to accentuate the negative......you'll seldom hear anyone say "Gee, my rifle hasn't had a problem in 30 years of shooting" but if the stock cracks.....the statement "That SOB of a piece of junk" will be quoted to everyone that will stop to listen.

RDs 454 was a real lemon but we all benefited from what he learned and did while he was repairing the rifle from his well illustrated posts.

I admit that I would have returned the rifle for an immediate refund but we are all the wiser cause RD chose to deal with the myriad issues that gun had and the sweat came from his brow and the money from his pocket.

Thanks RD for doing & sharing. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cheap lessons learned from the misfortune of another (RD

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:RDs 454 was a real lemon but we all benefited from what he learned and did while he was repairing the rifle from his well illustrated posts.

I admit that I would have returned the rifle for an immediate refund but we are all the wiser cause RD chose to deal with the myriad issues that gun had and the sweat came from his brow and the money from his pocket.

Thanks RD for doing & sharing. :D
You're quite welcome. It just caught me at the right time as sometimes I have very little patience. I will always owe the 454 for teaching me quite a bit about how a R92 actually works.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I WILL accept a structurally sound and safe albeit rough gun from Rossi.
I WILL smooth, polish and finish otherwise intact wood & metal parts.
I WON'T rebuild the gun and if the gun has major structural defects or missing or malformed parts it's shipping back at Rossis expense for a full refund.
I WILL make a real big stink until I get that refund from Rossi if the gun I get is junk.......bin there dun that.
I WON'T accept a butcher/repair job from Rossi CS..........bin there dun that a coupla times.........I just WON'T deal with the slam bang amateurs at Rossi CS.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Deleted
Last edited by Deleted User 327 on 01 May 2014 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

COSteve wrote:
Arktikos wrote:It seemed to group pretty good with everything especially considering the buckhorn sight isn't that great for my tired eyes.
For most of us 'older' shooters, it's no longer possible to see the sights and the target clearly without help. Many resort to scopes but there is an easy way to gain dramatic results without touching the sights on your firearms.

Increasing your Depth of Field (the area where all items appear in sharp focus) is possible by reducing the aperture you look through. The smaller the aperture and the closer you place it in front of your eye, the longer the DoF will stretch.

That's why you can see more clearly without sunglasses because they cause your pupils to enlarge because of the lower light. Also, that's why many people can see small items better if they squint at them.

So, how does one accomplish this amazing feat? Simply take some black electrical tape and cut out blanks using a hole punch. Then punch a tiny hole in the middle and stick it to your glasses where you sight through them to shoot.

The smaller the aperture, the longer the DoF will appear so keep the center hole tiny. Using the glasses below, my DoF is almost unlimited and I can clearly see the front and rear sights as well as the target even though it may be over 100 yds away!

Because the aperture is too close to your eye for it to focus on, the tape spot will appear to be a faint ghost image that doesn't block your vision at all. The center aperture will appear very large because of it's closeness to your eye and you'll just notice that everything inside it is sharp and clear. In addition, because it is so small, it won't interfere or block your normal field of view.

This add on aperture works with progressive lenses as well as regular prescription lens. You don't need any special glasses at all. Just make sure that you keep the center aperture clean and you'll be amazed at the difference.

They work great and best of all..................they’re free!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for that info. I had heard of this but had forgotten about it completely. I have experimented with this concept with amazing results actually by looking through a pinhole in a piece of paper and reading a license plate # 100 feet away without my glasses, where I would be lucky to even see a license plate itself without glasses otherwise. I have to wonder if this concept of increasing depth of field (much like a camera stopped way down to f22) would extend to a close peep like a Marbles tang with a tiny aperture? I realize this would be a broad daylight situation only but still a possible extension of the time I have before a scope will be mandatory.
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Eyes are still holding out (knock on wood) but I will keep this tip on the back burner.
Thank you. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA