Brand New 92 Owner

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
brandnew92

Brand New 92 Owner

Post by brandnew92 »

Just bought a brand spankin' new Rossi 92, 38/357, blue/case hardened, 24" octagon barrel.
My cousin has a 92, and when I started looking at .357 lever guns he suggested I look at Rossi. Doing research, I liked what I read, and I like what I saw, so I decided to go with the Rossi.
I stumbled upon this forum doing tang sight research for the new rifle, which after seeing the buckhorn rear sight, I may not need. We''ll see how it goes in the field with the stock irons.
I have the same "rapidly sneaking up on (or exceeding) 50 eye sight" a lot of us are experiencing. Man it can be a drag being a shooter getting older! But on the plus side, it seems like gun funds are a little easier to come by with age.
This only my second lever gun, I also have a Browning BL22. I do mostly handgun shooting.
After very little research on this forum, I've ordered the action DVD Kit from Steve's Gunz. I'd like to get the Rossi 92 to be as smooth as my BL22. And as I read in other posts, the stock ejector will throw brass at unbelievable velocities. I nearly put holes in a hollow-core door cycling dummy rounds through the rifle. Ok, that's exaggerating...a little!
I'm certain the this forum, like most firearms forums, will be very helpful, and entertaining.
Looking forward to shooting the new rifle!
Tim
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Brand New 92 Owner

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum and look forward to your reports!

...typos courtesy of Tapatalk!
Michael
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

brandnew92 wrote:....I have the same "rapidly sneaking up on (or exceeding) 50 eye sight" a lot of us are experiencing. Man it can be a drag being a shooter getting older! But on the plus side, it seems like gun funds are a little easier to come by with age.
I can relate. Shooting the 24" barreled Model 92 I recently purchased for the first time (with a tang sight) I did a double take as being 32 or so inches away, the front sight was actually in sharp focus!

In contrast, on the 16" Winchester 94 trapper carbine that I borrowed the tang sight off of, the front sight is usable with a tang sight, but it's just a blur with the stock iron sights. (Then to make it worse, the front sight ramp and blade decided to part company with the 94 Trapper anyway).

I'm fast reaching the point where I could use a set of shooting glasses with about a +.5 diopter of correction in the right lens.

Getting old is not for the feint of heart.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Welcome!

My 92 is one of the Navy Arms ones (blue receiver/24" barrel) and is a tack driver. I hope yours shoots as good.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Welcome! I also have one of the 24" Oct. barreled 357's, like how the rifle "hangs" on target and sights are usable. Enjoy your new 92! DP
Airwolf

Post by Airwolf »

I gave up trying to use iron sights with my 61 year old eyes and got a scout scope.
Jeff
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

dpe.ahoy wrote:Welcome! I also have one of the 24" Oct. barreled 357's, like how the rifle "hangs" on target and sights are usable. Enjoy your new 92! DP
I still use the irons but my eye problems are short range (< 12").......reading, tying knots, threading needles, etc.
My > 12" range vision is still very acute.

Congrats OP on your new gun. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

pricedo wrote:
dpe.ahoy wrote:Welcome! I also have one of the 24" Oct. barreled 357's, like how the rifle "hangs" on target and sights are usable. Enjoy your new 92! DP
I still use the irons but my eye problems are short range (< 12").......reading, tying knots, threading needles, etc.
My > 12" range vision is still very acute.

Congrats OP on your new gun. :mrgreen:
Same here. I tell folks that my arms have got too short to read.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR