Pigtail Safety?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Pigtail Safety?

Post by Model 52 »

Rooster59 wrote:I prefer safeties if they are available. All but two of my lever guns have safeties. Only a '62 Marlin 336 and a Browning BL-22 didn't come with one. The Marlin CBS and the tang safety on my SxS are very easy to use and can quickly be checked visually. The Rossi safety is a little less ergonomic to operate "from the driver's seat" versus the other styles. It took me a lot more concentration to learn to quickly identify if it was on or not. Twisting clockwise or counter clockwise with my right hand off the rifle seems a bit awkward.
Thats the other reason I removed mine.

All of my lever actions *except* the Rossi do not have anything other than the standard quarter cock safety - a few Winchester 94s, a couple 92s, a 9422 - and the Rossi. So it made the Rossi pretty much a non standard item in an otherwise very consistent inventory of lever actions and it de-standardized the operating procedures, so that was another vote for "removal".

Maybe if I bought newer tang safety and cross bolt safety lever guns where it's already non standard, I'd feel differently.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I may remove the safety on my M92 depending on how solid it is and more importantly if it is easily bumped on or off. I just got the rifle a few days before I left and can't remember it being an issue. With the 454 Casull it will naturally be easier to unload the magazine from the muzzle end of the tube so needing a safety in that regard is moot. As for relying on the safety with one in the chamber I don't ever have a live round chambered anyhow unless I am ready to fire so the half cock works perfectly. I don't care for the cross bolt design on my Marlins because it can get unintentionally bumped on and like pricedo says, that can be catastrophic in bear country. If the Rossi safety keeps getting bumped on then I see no further reason to have it on my gun, expect perhaps the legalities of removing it and having an incident occur.

Somewhere between paradise and home
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Thankfully, nothing in my 'hood is going to eat me. My 92 is usually kept handy in the bedroom though. My fear with the Rossi safety was fumbling with it during an impromptu event in the dark. Having only one Rossi and a bunch of CBS Marlins made operating the safety an unfamiliar function in time of potential stress. I was leaving the safety off but felt it might get bumped half on, etc.

Checking the Marlin CBS has become second nature as my finger moves to the trigger. I noticed when I used my wife's pre-CBS 35 Marlin to bag a doe in the back yard last season my trigger finger unconsciously tapped the receiver just before it went bang.

If I can get the Rossi safety to work smoothly and with confidence practice could make operating it second nature too.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver