Hearing protection

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Hearing protection

Post by massmanute »

I understand there are some noise canceling earphones that allow you to hear normal-volume sounds just fine but cancel out load sounds like gunshots. What can you tell me about them, and who makes good units?

Thanks.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hearing protection

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have a pair of inexpensive Walker's that are no longer in production and after 15 years they still work great. There are a lot more choices nowadays and I don't think you have to spend a lot of money if you take the time to read the review. I just looked at MidwayUSA and I think there are 155 different choice, not bad. I'd start at the cheapest and work my way up.

I use these on the range but not hunting. While hunting I use a small set of foam plugs if I have time to insert them. If not, I don't worry about them. I do not like the weight/bulk on my head in the field even though the headsets are quite light and small.

For my handgun training, I'm required to use the noise canceling headsets.
Michael
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

As stated above, there are a lot of choices. I used two sets marketed by Caldwell for several years and they only cost me about $30.00 (I spend time with kids and new shooters, so having an extra set is convenient). One is still holding up, while the other developed a loose connection and is essentially just a regular set of ear protectors until I get around to fixing them.

I've seen fancier models lately with connections for input such as your iPod. Music is obviously one option, but more practically you could have recorded timed range commands for practicing for various shooting matches. They seem to run around $70.

I generally use a set of moulded ear plugs when in the field. They work well and still allow reasonable (but muted) reception of voice communication much like ear muffs do but without the inconvenience of ear muffs or the longer term discomfort of sponge rubber plugs. Plus they are much easier to insert than sponge rubber plugs. I started using them back in the day in conjunction with the noise attenuating ear cups in my flight helmet to better address high frequency noise and they are comfortable over a several hour period of time. I also will often wear a set of ear muffs over the top of them on the range if it's busy, especially when you have someone with a short barreled muzzle compensated next to you, someone with a ported magnum class rifle, or just someone with something like a .357 mag pistol next to you.

My shooting is generally split between 1) plate shooting with pistols, lever guns and .22s and 2) three position and prone shooting with a match rifle. For the latter I like plugs and muffs just for the extra quiet and focus.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I have a cheap set of noise canceling headphones I bought from sportmans giude years ago work great no complaints.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!