Primer Marks - Hotter Loads In 45LC Puma

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Primer Marks - Hotter Loads In 45LC Puma

Post by Rooster59 »

My current Ruger+ loads for my trapper Puma 45LC don't indicate any high pressure signs but I noticed something last night when doing case prep to reload those test sample cases again. There appeared a small indentation in the primer's edge that appears to be from the ejector. The ejector appears to form part of the face of the bolt and extends into the primer area on a large pistol primer just enough to put a sliver of a dent in the edge of the primer. I don't see it with standard 45LC loads like 8.0gr of Unique and 250RNFP. These occured with 2400 under the Nosler 250HP jacketed bullet.

Is this normal with heavier, stouter loads? Anyone else see this in their 92's in other calibers?
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Primer Marks - Hotter Loads In 45LC Puma

Post by runfiverun »

i see a wavy little line across the face of some of my primers.
it's just the outline of the ejector.
no big deal.
Pb2au

Post by Pb2au »

That is funny, I had just noticed the same thing this weekend after finally taking my 92 out for it's maiden voyage. Thanks for the post
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

So I'm not the only one. That's comforting.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

Good to know. I noted the same mark, but it looked the same on light and heavy loads, so I figured it was not pressure related.