This can't be normal ?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
elkykid

Re: This can't be normal ?

Post by elkykid »

From you picture it looks like the crimp is being applied too far down on the case.
It should just roll the mouth of the case slightly.
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

Gunny268 wrote: 13 Apr 2024 23:17 cavelamb...It's a FCD without the knob. My particular method is - Brass is tumble cleaned, then sized and deprimed. Only my revolver brass (or rifle) is then hand primed. I use a Dillon 550 to then bell the case mouth and drop in the powder charge. Next station on the Dillon seats the bullet. When I hit 50 rds I move over to my RCBS Rockchucker with a crimp die. Not the fastest way to do things, but I'm not in a hurry and the method satisfies my OCD.
Powder is some CFE-P. With the 130 gr bullets at hopefully 38 Super (+P ?) pressures, I'm optimistic to get up to or exceed 1400 fps out of a 6 1/2" barrel. Like I said, a fast plinker, but without the full-on muzzle blast.
Just to give you an idea, at full magnum pressures my standard load for 125 gr RNFP out of a 6 1/2" Blackhawk gets 1635 fps (ES=38/SD=16). Same load out of the 16" R92 gets 2154 fps (ES=18/SD=6). Groups from both are almost cloverleafs at 80 yds.
Thought so.
That die is a bear to set the crimp right.
As you found out.

Too high makes too little crimp.
Too low makes a mess.
And that's all in 1/2 turn.

Get one of these - $20.
SO much easier to live with.

[urlhttps://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011209519?pid=551402[/url]
Amazon has them for $20 with free shipping for prime members.

On the Dillon that kind of crimp die cause me major headaches until I figured it out.
It came with the 30 Carbine set and the 1/2 turn extra when setting up meant the OAL was different if there was a cartridge in the crimp station )#4).
I replaced it with an adjustable crimp die (like above) for a 30 super carry cartridge.
Solved my silly problems nicely.
NRA Pistol Instructor, Metallic Cartridge Instructor, Range Safety Officer
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

GG...Picture's worth a thousand words...Also, after a quick visual comparison I observed that the gap between the collet "fingers" on my 357 FCD are about twice the gap size compared to that in my 45 Colt FCD. That, I suspect, could be the gremlin in the works. Now, where's my set of feeler gauges?
Lee 357 FCD.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Never seen one like that. Does it have any numbers stamped on it?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Just an "A9" which is a code for date of manufacture. I think the ones with the knob on top are the version that has the carbide ring on the bottom for ironing out any supposed bulges in the case. Advertised as "Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die".
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't think I've ever seen ANY Lee die with a split lock ring or a LFCD with no knob. I've only been into reloading for 11 or so years.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

It's a new thing from Lee.
A common die and caliber specific inserts - kinda like the Dillon powder/ belling setup.

I haven't seen one myself - yet.
NRA Pistol Instructor, Metallic Cartridge Instructor, Range Safety Officer
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nothing wrong with my "old" one with a knob. I don't see why they'd change it especially with results like those shown here.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

EURIKA !!! The Redding "Profile Crimp " Die has resolved the crimping problem regarding the loading of this "new to me" bullet. And I believe we (my buddy Coop and I) have solved this specific Lee Collet Crimp Die debacle. The gap between the collet "fingers" on the suspect die mic'd to an average of .023 while the finger gap on my 45 Colt collet die mic'd to an average of .015. We also seated and crimped a couple of dummy rounds using Coop's Lee Collet Crimp Die (the one with the top knob) and they looked fine. No "nubs" present on the case mouth and no swaging of the bullet above the case mouth. For now, all seems to be right with the world.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

The Redding Profile Crimp Die produced some very fine cartridges.
357 FCD (3).jpg
That Lee FCD is going into the metal recycle box.
A test group @ 25yds (wrists supported on knees) shows promise. Fired from a new to me Ruger Old Model Blackhawk 357 w/ 6 1/2" barrel. Looking forward to some tweeking the load in my R92 once the weather clears.
OM 357 (25 yd group of Apr '24).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.