Any emoloyees or company reps here on this forum??

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Any emoloyees or company reps here on this forum??

Post by Gunny268 »

Bazoo...The slug fired would be so much softer than the barrel steel that it couldn't possibly "iron it back out". Mechanically speaking, you would need an object of proper dimensions and harder material than the barrel steel. My best suggestion to LittleBill to resolve his barrel issue would be to replace the barrel/rifle. Even trying to hand lap the protrusions out of the bore would create problems of concentricity of the bore, degrading its accuracy.
Another alternative (expensive and more laborious) would be to "resleeve the bore". I personally wouldn't put that much time, money, and effort into this particular make of rifle unless I really (emphasize really) wanted to change the bore's rate of twist to something a bit more aggressive. Hmm, now there's an idea.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

Just FWIW, shooting hot 45 Colt jacketed loads did in fact reduce the ripple in my bore, but of course it never entirely removed it. The problem is caused by insufficient barrel wall thickness, under the front sight dovetail, and relining won't correct that. Re-barreling with a thicker barrel would correct the problem, but I was disinclined to invest the twice the price of the rifle in re-barreling it.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

The only other thing I can think of is to have a gunsmith cut and crown the barrel before the bulge.
Make it an 18" or 16.5" barrel.
The mag tube will have to be cut also, and remount the front barrel band, cut new dovetail,etc.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Few years back I was in my LGS and they had a new Winchester 94AE 2006 model, 30-30, 20" barrel, tang safety.
It was priced $ 600.00, asked them to cut and crown the barrel to 16.5", think they charged me somewhere around $ 200.00.
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

Gunny268 wrote: 28 Feb 2024 10:23 The 357 has the thickest barrel steel around the bore. The larger the caliber...the thinner the barrel steel.
Yes, naturally but that shouldnt preclude Rossi from making sure they have the proper dovetail/front sights appropriate for a given barrel. Seems they just take the "one size fits all" approach for all calibers.
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

Ranch Dog wrote: 16 Feb 2024 18:13 As far as I know, there has never been a Rossi-USA employee registered as a user.

This is just a group of users that try to help other owners.
Fair enough but what a great way for a company to hear real world use feedback about their products.
I actually frequent several forums where various company representatives are actively involved. Its nice.