R92 Loading ammo issues.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Emmett Brown

R92 Loading ammo issues.

Post by Emmett Brown »

I bought a new R92 a month ago, I have loading ammo issues. I can get 3 rounds in and then I would have to force it.
Searching I found some folks have shorten the loading tube spring. So I shorten it a bit, about 3.5" I just measured the length of 3 rounds above the tube and cut it there. No difference. I modified the loading gate spring per Steve Gunz video that I ordered. No difference other then it was easier to depress the loading gate.

I thought it might be the entrance to the loading tube as the Mag Follower would get stuck in there. So I sanded that with some 600 grit to polish it up and the mag follower is no longer getting stuck there, but I still could not get ammo into the mag tube.
I found Gunny268 post having a similar issue, but I could not see the pic's.

More search here and I found a video where the guy had the gun all apart except the loading gate and showed how the bullet was catching a sharp edge as it was being pushed in. YouTube

I've ordered a long shank carbide bit to see if I can reach in there to smooth out the sharp edge. You can see how my casing is getting scratched in the pic from the sharp edge.

Last edited by Emmett Brown on 07 Mar 2024 13:02, edited 5 times in total.
jstanfield103

Re: R92 Loading ammo issues.

Post by jstanfield103 »

Sorry to hear about your problem. But one thing is that nose profile on your rounds. Such a big flat nosed round is not going to load real easy in any side load lever rifle. It will load but not smooth and or easy. Try a rounder nose flat point, one with a lot less big flat top.

Rounding that edge will help with such a big weighted flat nose bullet though.
oldfogey

Post by oldfogey »

Truncated cone bullets load easier than the RNFP in my 16" 357 Rossi
oldfogey

Post by oldfogey »

If you're going to work on that good for you. When you take it apart take a look at the inside edge of the reciever at the loading port. This edge can be notoriously sharp.....literally grabbing the brass casing and making it harder to load. You mentioned scratches in the brass casing. Those scratches are pretty likely to come from these sharp edges. The edge of that reciever can be so sharp it'll cut your thumb. The fix for me was wrapping a little 400 or 600 carborundum around a small flat file and knocking that edge down a little.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Emmett Brown...I looked for my photos of the same problem but didn't find them. Your photos show the same situation. I flared the opening of the receiver just as you have indicated, and that solved the problem. Your ammo selection may also be a problem just as the guys above previously stated.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't like that bullet shape even if it did feed well but I won't judge.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
oldfogey

Post by oldfogey »

After reading and commenting on this thread today I decided to work on mine some. I bought it new and had trouble loading ammo from the git go.I tore it down when I bought it and replaced the mag follower,shortened the mag spring, worked on the loading gate spring,and eased the sharp edge around the inside of the loading port. I ended up working on the loading gate spring a second time. After all that I still had to fiddle around to get ammo in the tube. 38 Specials were easier than 357 mags and theTC bullets worked better than the RNFP's.Cartridges wanted to go left of the mag tube and the bullets were getting hung up on the inside of the receiver right where the receiver funnels into the mag tube. The inside of the receiver was rough as opposed to smooth. I tore it down today and used my dremel with a small grinding bit followed up with a cone shaped polishing bit with a little polishing compound. Looked pretty good when I got it done so re-assembled. First tried the 357 case with the TC bullet....they went right in. Next grabbed some 357 loads with RNFP bullets that didn't like to go in at all before and got nine of them into the tube slick as snot. I think I got it
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

That interior edge of the opening in the receiver that leads into the mag tube has always been sharp and poorly machined. All 3 of my 92s required a chamfering and polishing of that opening. Once done all became much easier (and less lead bullet gouging) to load. Also, that lower interior sharp bottom corner of the cartridge stop was ever so slightly rounded and polished. This also led to easier loading and less gouging of my lead bullets.
Emmett Brown

Post by Emmett Brown »

My 6" carbide tip arrived. I took of some metal on the left side of the mag tube, then polished with 600 and 1000 grit sand paper. I also taped the end of the bit with electrical tape to prevent any grinding where I did not want it to grind and that worked great.
Gunny268 mention the cartridge stop. I looked at mine and I had already modified that too. Looks like I might have done more to mine then he did.
It took a few days for the grinding tip to arrive, got the work done. Went to put it together and found the ejector collet decide it wanted a new home. I've order a new one after looking everywhere. I will post up once that arrives and I can test it.
FWIW each of these guns need something, but not everything. I knew this when buying the gun. Can't wait to get out and use it.

All the Pics of the gun mods

Last edited by Emmett Brown on 07 Mar 2024 13:05, edited 2 times in total.
Emmett Brown

Post by Emmett Brown »

My new collet arrived and I installed it. The gun loads bullets so much easier now :mrgreen: +guns +guns
I plan on buying some of the rounded nose bullets as I have to sometimes double pump the lever to get the bullet into the camber.
Next is to fire a couple boxes of ammo, to see if this loosen the gun up a bit too.

Collet: I ordered a new one from Steve Gunz and a used one from ebay.
The used one is chamfered on the inside edge. I noticed my original one was like the one I got from Steve. I installed the used one and noticed it was much easier to get a bullet into the bolt for reassembly. Previously the collect would tilt a bit and not slide up the injector rod easily. I even but a dab of grease on that part and it did not do much.

Collet pics

Glad to have the gun ready to use, now just need the rain to let up for a couple days.