Plinkers, hunters, Cowboy shooters?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Bazoo

Re: Plinkers, hunters, Cowboy shooters?

Post by Bazoo »

I mostly plink and target shoot with my Winchester 92. I haven't hunted with it yet, but I do plan to. It's mostly just something I hold and enjoy, plink with, and of course, I enjoy reloading for it. Hard to cast and reload for a gun you don't like.
Cataloging the world's bullets.
Czy_Horse

Post by Czy_Horse »

My 'pistol calibre' rifles are primarily used for 'plinking'. I do carry one of the Marlin 1894's(25-20Win, 357/38 or 44Mag) or Ruger PCC(9mm) for coyote protection when out walking the dog.
My revolvers have a companion rifles to keep them company.
The Chiappa 1873 has a Henry 22lr, Blackhawks have a Marlin 1894c 357Mag/38Spl, the S&W 686 has the 24" SS Rossi R92 357Mag/38Spl.

My AR500 gongs in their winter position ~40yds from back door. Very handy, brass lands on floor not in snow.
Last edited by Czy_Horse on 22 Dec 2023 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Hey guys. I’m new the the forum,
From Australia.
I have a 20” stainless steel r92 in .44 magnum. It’s an earlier model that doesn’t have the safety switch which I am very happy about. I bought it second hand and near new condition.

I use it as my hunting rifle.
I’ve taken many hogs, deer, foxes and rabbits.
I mainly use it to hunt deer and hogs in my local state forest, it’s my grab and go rifle, always up for a chase or a stalk in dense wooded areas.

I do often use it at the rifle range to target shoot offhand so I have as much practice as I can get. I feel I’ve become very proficient using it over the years with a marbles flat top sight.

This rifle is as simple as things get, hunting without gimmicks, distraction and it tests your skill as a good rifle man.
Not much better than dropping a deer with iron sights or unloading the tube into a mob of pigs.
North Idaho Shooter

Post by North Idaho Shooter »

I have several 92's, and they are mostly used for plinking. One in 45 Colt was used for Cowboy Action Shooting for a few matches, but recurring feeding issues caused me to switch to a Marlin 1894CB in that caliber. Problems seems to have been fixed since then, but the group I shot with has disbanded, and other clubs in the area don't seem to want new members, as they won't reply to e-mails.

45, 44, 357, all the Rossi's function very well (other than the original 45 Colt). Round barrels, octagons, and from 16" to 24". Love them all. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with the stainless 44 Mag I have, just haven't had the opportunity.
MoMan

Post by MoMan »

Plinker here!
I have numerous lever guns, including R92's as follows (each os which is paired with a revolver!!):
.357mag, 16" SS carbine
.44mag, 20" blued rifle
.45lc, 20" blued rifle

I also have a Rossi Rio Bravo lever gun .22lr, 18" black rifle.

I have other lever guns, they're just not Rossi's, some of those have been used successfully for deer hunting!!

I enjoy just getting to the range and running some levers!
MO

Member: Kentucky Regulators G.C./LaSalle Sportsmen's Club/NRA
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

I have had such good luck with the Rossi's they have just kept growing. I started out with a .357/.38 16" short rifle that fits my smaller frame great and shoots great. I needed the .357 and that is and was at the time the only one I ever saw available. Then I saw a Rio Grande in 45/70 that was priced where I could not pass it up, shoots great also. The a 24" octagon barrel SS showed up in .357/.38 and that went home with me. Yes finally the 454 Casull showed up and could not resist it either.

All are great rifles and compliment my other levers of all makes very well and hold their own with all them.
COSteve

Post by COSteve »

As I have eight different leverguns, from .22lr to .308, I use each of them for different purposes. I plink and go 'woods walking' in the Rockies with any of my six more traditional leverguns, all with iron sights. While my two largest calibers, a .300 Savage 99 and .308 Winchester 88 are set up with scopes as hunting rifles.

That said, as I handload for all but the .22, I use mostly my two .357 and two .45 Colt levers for plinking and just enjoying the outdoors. The 24" rifles in each caliber, set up with target tang rear sights, are mainly used to plink bowling pins at 200 yds with while the carbines in each go 'woods walking' accompanied by a like caliber SA pistol on my hip.
MoMan

Post by MoMan »

@ jstanfield103, GREAT range you've got set up there! If I had that my Wife would never see me!!!
MO

Member: Kentucky Regulators G.C./LaSalle Sportsmen's Club/NRA