480 Ruger Range Report

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: 480 Ruger Range Report

Post by Model 52 »

357cyrus wrote:But to answer your question... As it stands now, no I can't hunt deer in Ohio with my 480 Rossi. I can subtract 200fps and use my 480 Super Redhawk though! Stupid laws...at least they're worth a good laugh from time to time!
It is shotgun only, or a minimum energy standard for rifles? Given that it's not a big flat state out west, I'm guessing it's the former.
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

Currently for deer gun season you can use shotgun, pistol, or muzzle loader. Central Ohio westward is a table top, flat as can be. I for one believe either a person is safe with firearms or they're not. No restriction placed on what can or can't be used will change that. This was proven last year in our state by an Amish girl that was killed by a muzzle loader from 2.5 miles away when someone thought it would be safe to empty it into the air. So much for muzzle loaders being safer than high power rifles. Handgun cartridges like 460S&W, sabot shotgun slugs, and modern inline muzzle loaders are a whole different animal than what was available when our regs were put in place.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

I got bored on the train last night and looked it up on line.

I had the same thought when I saw the muzzle loader season with no restrictions on than "larger than .38 caliber". Modern inline designs and sabots have bene real game changers and have sucked the tradition right out of it. For example, .50 with sabots and 300-335 gr bullets can generate 1,800 plus ft per second with 110-120 grains of powder, is superior to a hot loaded .44 Mag or 45 Colt in a rifle, and even gives the .454 a run for it's money.

Rate of fire is still low for the muzzle loader season, but if the argument for restriction of rifles in the regular season is one of safety for anyone down range, there's no reason to allow sabots in muzzle loaders and not all ow straight walled pistol cartridges in rifles in the regular season.