Limping along on an old Mac

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Limping along on an old Mac

Post by Steelbanger »

Good morning,

Apple wanted to install a new 1 TB drive in my IMac due to the fact that the original drive was subject to crash unexpectedly. So yesterday I dropped off said Mac at the repair center. Although my machine is out of warranty the repair will be free. I should be picking it up in 3-4 days and in the meantime I have set up an older G4 Mac. Know what? My old machine doesn't remember me and won't let me set up an email account but at least I can still browse the 'net. Maybe I should have dusted the old soldier occasionally.

I am amazed just how spoiled I have become with the current IMac, especially the feature of scrolling by running my finger up or down on the mouse. I usually use Firefox as my browser but didn't feel like messing with it yesterday since this is only a temporary arrangement so I went with Safari as it was already installed. This morning when I logged on to this site I was surprised to see that I was still logged in from yesterday. That never happened with Firefox which always disconnected me.

So, in conclusion, there will be no email from me until the weekend unless divine inspiration hits me with the missing password.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Limping along on an old Mac

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, don't realize how we are tied to them until they burp. On your email provider's web site, no way to reset your password?
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

RD,

I'm waiting for my alloy to melt so will resume this business after the casting session. Earlier I thought it was time to call my provider to straighten out this mess for me. You basically came up with the same solution.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Flogged an old IBM A22m Pentium III Windows 2000 laptop til about 2 weeks ago when I picked up a Toshiba 64 bit Windows 8 monster with 16 GB RAM & a 1 TB drive & 2.4 GHz Quad-core Xeon processor. Now it sits on a shelf with my old Commodore 64 and an 8-track player from the old car I drove when I was in university I keep for reasons of nostalgia.
None of the new software supports Windows 2000 as Microsoft support for it ceased in 2005.
I could make a cup of coffee in the time it took the old IBM to boot up.
The new notebook is booted up almost before I can take my finger off the power button.
I don't think I could go back to the old IBM now that I've been spoiled by the new notebook.
MAC PCs & notebooks are too darned expensive.
I don't know how Steve Jobs kept Apple afloat...........the prices for their hardware is atrocious. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

My email is back on track thanks to my ISP.

And to answer how someone was wondering how Steve Jobs kept Apple afloat the answer is . . . Apple floated very nicely on a sea of green(backs).

Actually, my initiation into the world of computers was with Apple equipment at the printing plant where I toiled for forty years. My son and I often joke about computers because he likes and uses the other type of computers.
But, when he needs a photo manipulated or other such work, he always gets dad to do the deed on his trusty Apple! Also, he loves his IPhone and his son's IPad which really made a positive impression on him. He is even after me to replace my phone with an IPhone!!!
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

On the bright side at least Macs cost more and give you less. You might buy a PC next time and than install the latest MacOS on it. :geek:
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson