Shimming trigger spring info

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
oldfogey

Shimming trigger spring info

Post by oldfogey »

Hi.....I'm Mike. I joined recently and did a intro in the "New Members" section. I recently bought a BNIB 16" blued 357 Magnum M92 levergun. After reading a lot about other members and some issues folks have had with the M92 I was surprised at mine. Mine is pretty nice and it appears that Rossi has upped the game with newly manufactured guns. The wood is nice and has some grain to it. Ejector spring is stronger than it needs to be but not outrageous. I bought some stuff from The Smith Shop last week. So far I've pulled the buttstock and hosed it out real good with brake cleaner. Disassembled the rifle and cleaned out the mag tube, replaced the plastic follower and trimmed the mag spring to 6" longer than the mag tube. I cut one coil off the ejector spring. Worst part was the sharp edges around the loading port and the gorilla-strength loading gate spring. I addressed that then replaced the bolt safety with a blued trigger. I would like to address the trigger....It feels like 5-5.5 lb pull and I'd like it to break at 4lbs. So I'm considering trying the trigger spring shim thing. I understand the shim goes under the flat trigger spring. A couple questions about that. Does the shim need to be the same length and width as the trigger spring? Does the shim need to be pinned in place in other words does the shim need to have a hole in it so the screw that holds the spring can pass thru it keeping the shim in place? I have a habit of buying old feeler gauge sets I find while rooting thru boxes of junk at the swap meet. The feeler gauges make for some pretty good shims when I need to make one. Hope to hear from some folks who have successfully shimmed the trigger spring on their M92 leverguns.
GasGuzzler

Re: Shimming trigger spring info

Post by GasGuzzler »

I can't find my pictures or the topic I made on my mid-80's R92 .357 but I used an empty 22LR case. Cut the rim off, split it, and hammered it flat. I think I drilled a hole.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

Skip the first two minutes if you want.
But this should answer your questions.

Youtube - Fine tuning the trigger
NRA Pistol Instructor, Metallic Cartridge Instructor, Range Safety Officer
oldfogey

Post by oldfogey »

Cavelamb.....thanks fo the video. I saw that previously on Youtube but didn't watch the whole thing. I'm gonna pull out that lower tang today and do it just like the video shows with a pop can shim and see how it goes. Like I said if I can get it to break at 4-4.5 lbs I'll be happy.
oldfogey

Post by oldfogey »

Success....today I pulled that lower tang out and made up a pop-can shim. While I was at it I polished the end of the trigger spring and the contact point on the trigger. Put it back together and now have a trigger that breaks nice and smooth at 4-4.5 lbs(I'm guessing).I'm happy with it. Thanks for the help folks