R92 Shortened, Threaded and Suppressed

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dmk

R92 Shortened, Threaded and Suppressed

Post by dmk »

About a month ago, I posted here asking about getting a threaded lever action. I didn't want a large loop lever, didn't like the 5/8" threading of the Henry, and didn't like the black paint or plastic of the Triple Black or Henry X. Basically I just really like the simplicity and light weight of the handy 16" 1892 carbine with steel and wood. Ultimately, I went with a 20" Rossi R92 in stainless, test fired it and sent it right off to grumpysguns.com for shortening and threading.

Dan did a great job. He shortened the barrel and the mag tube, threaded to 1/2x28 and added a Marble's ramped front sight base with a .343" front sight that I sent with the rifle. Best of all, he turned it around in just a day! I was expecting to wait a month for it. The most stressful part was watching the USPS tracking for a week there and a week back.

I just got it back yesterday evening and I'm really happy with it. Just to give it a quick test before it got dark, I shot a handful of milsurp Winchester M41 38 Special with my Dead Air Odessa. It's very, very quiet. It sounded about as loud as a suppressed 22LR pistol with cheap plinking ammo, but with a much deeper tone and you can really hear the thud of the projectile hitting the dirt with a lot more authority. No ear pro necessary. This is exactly what I wanted.

cavelamb

Re: R92 Shortened, Threaded and Suppressed

Post by cavelamb »

way cool.
What supressor did you choose?
NRA Pistol Instructor, Metallic Cartridge Instructor, Range Safety Officer
dmk

Post by dmk »

I tried it with a Dead Air Odessa yesterday (in pics above). I also have a CGS Kraken (now called the Mod 9), but it's a bit larger in diameter and I haven't tried it yet.

The Odessa worked really well. The iron sights easily cleared it because it's so thin. I also have a direct thread adapter for it, so that makes it easier to use on a rifle.
2dollarbill

Post by 2dollarbill »

Super nice! No I'm dreaming about my 45 colt. Dang-it
dmk

Post by dmk »

Thanks!

Yeah, a suppressed 45 lever action would be cool.