Muzzle Velocity for deer hunting

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Johnnyjr

Muzzle Velocity for deer hunting

Post by Johnnyjr »

Ok,my bullet is 158
Swc with gas checks

What mv do you think
I should have for deer

hunting 50 yards or less.
thanks.Just so you know
This is 357 mag cartridge
Last edited by Johnnyjr on 14 Aug 2022 07:36, edited 1 time in total.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: M v for deer hunting

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Johnnyjr wrote:Ok,my bullet is 158
Swc with gas checks

What mv do you think
I should have for deer

hunting 50 yards or less.
thanks.
I seem to recall seeing somewhere a figure of 1200 fps at the target. Shot placement is probably of equal or greater importance.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

Just for the sake of education and entertainment for the US guys, we have specific laws that cover what you can and can't use on deer.

You cannot use a calibre less than .240

You cannot shoot deer with a rifle producing less than 2450 fps at the muzzle AND having a terminal velocity of less than 1750 ft lbs.

These requirements are law here. If you go on a paid deer stalk you will be taken to the 'zeroing range' first. Your ammo will be checked and, possibly, chronoed and you will be expected to put three shots into a 3" circle at 100m.
This is the minimum requirement.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
GasGuzzler

Re: Muzzle Velocity for deer hunting

Post by GasGuzzler »

Fixed your topic title as much as I can for easier searching later but I think you should edit your post to say what cartridge. Guessing .357 but it's important enough to list it with reloading safety and all.

BTW, the most common question regarding reloading the .357 has to do with deer (usually) hunting loads so there are likely A LOT of topics to look through.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

ManxTom wrote:Just for the sake of education and entertainment for the US guys, we have specific laws that cover what you can and can't use on deer.

You cannot use a calibre less than .240

You cannot shoot deer with a rifle producing less than 2450 fps at the muzzle AND having a terminal velocity of less than 1750 ft lbs.

These requirements are law here. If you go on a paid deer stalk you will be taken to the 'zeroing range' first. Your ammo will be checked and, possibly, chronoed and you will be expected to put three shots into a 3" circle at 100m.
This is the minimum requirement.
Here in Ohio, rifles are limited to straight walled cartridges of 38 caliber or better and no more than 3 rounds in the gun. Not really serious limitations.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

No more than three rounds in the mag, or three rounds total? Are you required to put a stick in your Rossi mag, or is the restriction honor based?
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

HarryAlonzo wrote:No more than three rounds in the mag, or three rounds total? Are you required to put a stick in your Rossi mag, or is the restriction honor based?

Three rounds total and no we don't have to plug them. I'm sure some don't abide, but it's not worth it. You start by loosing your gun and hunting privalge,

Make smoke
Johnnyjr

Post by Johnnyjr »

What's your thoughts on a 125 gr cast gas checked bullets for 50 or less yards on deer. Those things far out perform the 158 grainers.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't shoot light for cartridge in anything, especially to build hunting rounds. 125 grains is 20% light.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.