NEW Rossi single-shot 44mag!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: NEW Rossi single-shot 44mag!

Post by Archer »

I like SLIP2000 EWL.
Keeps things slippery and doesn't tend to tack up when dirty or in cold temps.
a.squibload

Post by a.squibload »

Well I kinda want to take it apart again anyway! I have some Mother's Mag Polish (mag wheels, not magazine. Or magnum. Works great on cloudy plastic headlights.) Or Simichrome. Maybe I could try a little on mating surfaces, then wipe lightly with "Ed's Red". I leave out the acetone, been using ATF and Kerosene, all-around cleaner and lube. Usually wipe on, wipe off, doesn't take a lot.
Off topic alert:
Also got another shotgun at a pawn shop yesterday, kinda like bringin home a stray. $150 for a Sears 200. As usual I did my research (after I got home), turns out they were made by Winchester. Bolt group fell apart all over the place when I pulled it out, broken off screw, doesn't seem to need it. Worked the wood last night w/ sandpaper & Danish oil. Looks pretty good.

Beats cuttin up that tree limb I sawed off yesterday, it's hot out there. Maybe later.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

A friend of mine made up a quart or so of ed's red in college. A quart lasted a mighty long time.
I think that 's about the last time I ever saw any.

I don't like to get ATF on any finished wood at all.
I'm not too much into CLP or all in one's.
I'd much rather use a cleaner/solvent for cleaning and a lubricant for avoiding friction.
When it comes to long term protection that's a different set of products.
a.squibload

Post by a.squibload »

Archer: I got used to using oil for cleaning a long time ago. With no acetone this "Red's" stuff is probably pretty safe but I don't get it on the wood either. Use very lightly. ATF supposed to penetrate pretty good and lubes good too. Not sure why the kerosene but seems to work.

Progress, I guess:

I'm amazed by how smooth it got with just a little work. Of course the ejector spring swap helped.
I took it apart & used Simichrome to polish any surface that showed a little wear mark, lockup lugs, action end of lever, bolt rails, etc. Then wiped a touch of ATF/kerosene lube and re-assembled. I'm gettin good at that, only dropped the ejector spring collar a couple times! Feels really good, smooth.

Also found an old box of 44 mag reloads, they feed nice. Think it's a Hornady 200gn jfp, forgot what my label said. Could pull it out again. Not even sure they make that bullet any more but there's bound to be something similar.
200gn 44mag jfp .jpg
Tried another long nose swc, wouldn't feed, almost did. Maybe I'll try the cartridge guide notch cut some time.
I'm gettin better at un-jammin the action too.

Here's my safety hole plug, not too pretty but the concept worked, 209 primer. I blued it but got the opposite result I expected, the primer took the blue and the outside cup didn't. Maybe I'll make a gooder-lookin one.
209 primer safety plug.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a.squibload

Post by a.squibload »

Correction:

I checked my label, it was 220gn Sierra jfp "Silhouette", 44 mag, 11.5gn Unique.
Same load I use for the 225 cast with powdercoat. Not a barn-burner.
Still have a box, check price tag, pretty old!
box of 220gn 44s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.