454 Casull mini range report

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
357cyrus

Re: 454 Casull mini range report

Post by 357cyrus »

Ah, you beat me to it! I've got my own shooting range out back, but with the wife and I both working full time and a one year old to entertain, I keep finding road blocks in the way of finally pulling the trigger on mine. I had thoughts of the first shot being on a feral cat I had to dispatch yesterday. That woulda been a hell of a range report for the 480! I wanted old Tom gone for sure though, and don't know where the sights are hitting yet. Glad to see yours is shooting straight and grouping nice with the first ammo you tried.

Took me a while to get my 92 back together though. I'd recommend seperating the mainspring from the hammer to dis/reassemble. Maybe its just me since I'm a lever newbie, but I had a real pain of a time without punching out the pivot pin that held them together. Also the lower tang in mine wouldn't just pull out as described. Took a little coaxing with my widest punch and a mallet. All back together now though.

Oh yeah, enjoy your trip!
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:Took a little coaxing with my widest punch and a mallet.
Yikes! I've cracked the egg and put it back together close to 75 times on my 454 Casull and here is how I do it. I'm able to pull the Hammer Screw out with my fingers and put it back the same way. I never need to punch it out or tap in in.
001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

When we're shooting even before we get into hand loading, scopes, rifle fix-ups & tune-ups we need to have the more basic criterion dealt with properly & that is a comfortable & stable shooting position.
The bench in the picture above is way too busy and cluttered at the shooters end with that big plastic cooler as a back rest.
Get a fully adjustable Caldwell rest.............be the best money you ever spent to improve your shooting & make it a more enjoyable experience.
You can't shoot well when your not comfortable & your rifle support isn't rock solid.
My favorite shooting support is a cheapskate bright red plastic yet fully adjustable rest that uses a coupla 25 pound bags of lead shot to anchor it.............$39.95 at Cabelas.
I've done the crunching. squeezing, reaching around plastic coolers, brief cases, leaky sand bags, you name it.
My scores improved 100% when I finally bit the bullet and bought a good solid adjustable shooting rest and all you have to do to make an adjustment is to turn a dial instead of disturbing your whole set-up.
Now the area around the butt plate of the gun is occupied by a comfortable me.........not briefcases, coolers, folded jackets, chunks of cord wood, you name it.

+of
**Sorry for the slight diversion but you can't shoot well from an uncomfortable, cluttered bench without a solid, easily adjustable rest.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:Image

When we're shooting even before we get into hand loading, scopes, rifle fix-ups & tune-ups we need to have the more basic criterion dealt with properly & that is a comfortable & stable shooting position.
The bench in the picture above is way too busy and cluttered at the shooters end with that big plastic cooler as a back rest.
Get a fully adjustable Caldwell rest.............be the best money you ever spent to improve your shooting & make it a more enjoyable experience.
You can't shoot well when your not comfortable & your rifle support isn't rock solid.
My favorite shooting support is a cheapskate bright red plastic yet fully adjustable rest that uses a coupla 25 pound bags of lead shot to anchor it.............$39.95 at Cabelas.
I've done the crunching. squeezing, reaching around plastic coolers, brief cases, leaky sand bags, you name it.
My scores improved 100% when I finally bit the bullet and bought a good solid adjustable shooting rest and all you have to do to make an adjustment is to turn a dial instead of disturbing your whole set-up.
Now the area around the butt plate of the gun is occupied by a comfortable me.........not briefcases, coolers, folded jackets, chunks of cord wood, you name it.

+of
**Sorry for the slight diversion but you can't shoot well from an uncomfortable, cluttered bench without a solid, easily adjustable rest.
When I went out shooting and snapped these pictures I had about an hour to spare between packing for the trip and catching the plane. I had no delusion that with a brand new gun, a lever action one at that, with ammo I developed for a different gun, and with the marginal Rossi sights, bad eye sight as well as freezing temps, this wasn't meant to be a
serious bench shooting session. Sure a fully adjustable rest would have been ideal but I just don't care about perfection in that regard. My M92 was just propped there with the butt resting on a small plastic tote for the pic and not to show how I was firing the gun. I was shouldering it and using the front rest to steady it, sort of like you would use shooting sticks. I have gotten pretty accurate doing it this way when shooting my scout scopped 1895, but I don't use a rest most of the time either. Like I mentioned I was just wanting to see how the gun worked, cycled ammo, and a rough idea of accuracy. not out for one ragged hole bragging rights! :grin:

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

357cyrus wrote:.

Oh yeah, enjoy your trip!
Thanks! Pretty nice over here, way different than my stomping grounds in SE Alaska.. Even the mts have no snow.. Guess I'm not in Kansas anymore.. :mrgreen:

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:
pricedo wrote:Image

+of
When I went out shooting and snapped these pictures I had about an hour to spare between packing for the trip and catching the plane. I had no delusion that with a brand new gun, a lever action one at that, with ammo I developed for a different gun, and with the marginal Rossi sights, bad eye sight as well as freezing temps, this wasn't meant to be a
serious bench shooting session. Sure a fully adjustable rest would have been ideal but I just don't care about perfection in that regard. My M92 was just propped there with the butt resting on a small plastic tote for the pic and not to show how I was firing the gun. I was shouldering it and using the front rest to steady it, sort of like you would use shooting sticks. I have gotten pretty accurate doing it this way when shooting my scout scopped 1895, but I don't use a rest most of the time either. Like I mentioned I was just wanting to see how the gun worked, cycled ammo, and a rough idea of accuracy. not out for one ragged hole bragging rights! :grin:

The 92 wasn't designed to be a "one ragged hole" gun...........they make bolt actions with Kreiger barrels & Surgeon actions that do that job better.
The old Winchester paradigm was an affordable "people's gun" that would deliver MOPP "minute of pie plate" accuracy good enuf to fill a freezer with venison.......if you got one that could deliver tighter than 2 MOA on target accuracy you were lucky.
I think I paid $69.95 for my first 94/30-30 in a local hardware store & the standard acid test for the 94s & 336s of the day (usually 30-30s with a few 35 Rems) was 3/3 shots with "green box" off the shelf ammo in a 6" diameter aluminum pie plate @ 50 yards........if it could do that it was a "hunter" as dad would say.

The reason I like good solid bench rests is to separate as much as possible my performance from the guns performance so I can take appropriate remedial measures to deal with either/both as the case might be.
Only Rossi has stuck to that 100 year old "economy gun" paradigm as most other 92s manufactured today are super-expensive specialty guns. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:

+of

The 92 wasn't designed to be a "one ragged hole" gun...........they make bolt actions with Kreiger barrels & Surgeon actions that do that job better.
The old Winchester paradigm was an affordable "people's gun" that would deliver MOPP "minute of pie plate" accuracy good enuf to fill a freezer with venison.......if you got one that could deliver tighter than 2 MOA on target accuracy you were lucky.

I would agree that taking as much of the "shooter" out of the equation is the most direct way to zero in on load development. However I have had pretty fair results with my accurate 1895 gg using my little rest I made from a 2x6 and it costs so much less than all that stuff ordered from Midway and delivered to my door in the brown truck.Yeah I probably will "spend" more on lead doing it my way but for me that is all part of the fun of it! It turns out I don't use my lever guns to fill the freezer much, cuz I like to fill that limited cubic foot space with salmon or better yet halibut. Wasting lead is more or less a hobby of mine except I suppose that I have a need for a good bear defence firearm too and practice time shooting it so if the time does run out for me it will be from a corrinary event and not because I couldn't make my shots count! :mrgreen: