My M92 357 Triple Black project

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: My 357 Triple Black project (Pic heavy)

Post by Archer »

Yeah the Rossi is using a rather slow twist. Another reason to push them pretty fast.
There are a few on this site using 180s. I generally stick to 158s. 125s have a following.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I won't load a 125 .38 Special or .357 Magnum (or any other light for caliber) for the most part. Yes, they are 1:30". I load 158-165 and 180's for mine. Just need a stiff fill of magnum powder.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I prefer 'nominal' for caliber weights to slightly heavy. I don't typically load 110s for .357 or .38.

I don't have a problem loading 125s although they are not what I prefer I think there can be a place for them.
I've heard conflicting reports of flame cutting when pushing them hard through a .357 Mag. Some people claim that's the reason why the K frame sized guns from Smith and Ruger turned into L frame guns. Others claim they've fed their K frames all the hot lightweight magnum rounds they could want over 20 or 30 years with no ill effect. I figure flame cutting can and does happen in some situations, even with 'standard' ammo. I know two guys who've had to send light weight alloy framed magnums back to Smith for work. I don't own any alloy framed guns and I don't figure I'm going to be pushing enough light for caliber rounds through my revolvers to matter.

In the 92 all that's moot but I figure a heavier bullet has better penetration and doesn't bleed energy on the way to the target as much from aero drag.
Deleted User 5041

Post by Deleted User 5041 »

It seems like no subsonic load that will stabilize in this rifle will have enough energy for deer hunting. It also seems like a premium 158-grain bullet at 357 magnum velocities will expand more reliably than the hard cast lead 180s that are available commercially. After running the numbers in my head all week, I'm planning to just keep it simple and shoot 158-grain bullets.

While waiting for my front site to arrive, I added an extra-wide lever wrap inspired by the less-tactical-looking Palo Verde 4 piece wrap:

I also installed my favorite adjustable 2 point sling on the rifle with my patent-pending noiseless sling mounts:
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Did you fix the loading gate problem?
Looking at your photo of the problem, looks like the gate is set off center of the loading port and up against the lower side of the (inside of) the receiver. Try loosening the screw and align the gate as you re-tighten it centered in the loading port. The gate should be set to rest it's forward edge just inside the receiver at the forward edge of the port opening.
Hope this helps.
Deleted User 5041

That was a great catch, Gunny. It is holding up on the lower side. I can't get it to move by just loosening and re-tightening the screw. I think I'm going to start by slightly chamfering all the corners of the loading port for easier loading and if it still hangs up, I may have to try bending the gate spring or lightly filing the gate assembly so that it can rotate up a little. Does that seem like the way to go?
Deleted User 5041

I like the globe sight on the front. I had to sand and repaint a bit on the front of the sight to get it to clear the front barrel band.

I was able to get on target last weekend. I inadvertently left all but one of the sight inserts at home, and at 100 yards it was pretty tough to get the sights on the 2” target I had with me. I'm going to try a few different inserts and a larger target this upcoming weekend. Groups were good enough at 50 yards considering the remanufactured ammo I was shooting. The main thing I wanted to accomplish was to get the sights on enough that I could do some measuring to order a tang or receiver sight. I can see some advantages to the tang sight, but the receiver sight won out for now due to simplicity and cost. It’s on order.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I don't think I'd do any filing on the receiver.
It looks like the angled cartridge is simply the result of not getting the round all the way in the gun.
It might be hung up by the bullet on a rough or sharp edge where the magazine starts or it might be mostly just getting hung up on the forward edge of the gate. I might look at smoothing that forward edge of the gate and see if the mag tube needs deburring. IF you get that round past the loading port receiver opening toward the center of the gun it should not hang up that way.

Nice job on the front sight.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Like Archer advised, I wouldn't do any filing on the receiver.
When re-tightening the screw, you may be torquing the loading gate in a clockwise manner - resetting it back into the misaligned position.
Try the following technique, it has always worked for me.
Lay the rifle down on the bench with the barrel pointing to your left, loading gate up. Using the pointy finger of your left hand depress the loading gate ever so slightly into the loading port. Hook your fingernail over the the lower edge of the loading gate and hold the gate in that depressed position. With screwdriver in your right hand, loosen the loading gate screw until the loading gate can rotate slightly counterclockwise. Using the leverage of your fingernail to hold the loading gate (still depressed) a little more centered in the loading port - carefully re-tighten the screw. Once the screw is tightened, release your downward pressure on the loading gate. Hopefully the gate will now be better aligned in the port opening. If not well... try, try again !
I really hope this helps.
Deleted User 5041

Thank you for all the suggestions. I don't think the magazine tube was the issue. It's already chamfered, and the loading gate was sticking a bit even with the magazine off the gun. I ended up using an automotive shim to hold the gate away from the bottom edge while tightening the screw, and it doesn't seem to be sticking anymore even though it's still not centered.

I was considering replacing the magazine follower with a stainless one based on what I've read about the plastic follower becoming impregnated with debris and not functioning correctly, but it appears my gun may have come with an anodized aluminum follower. Is it something that newer Rossi's have, or do you think this is unique to this model?

I got a Lee Shaver donut type front sight insert and shot this at 100 yards with a few different loads last weekend. Overall I'm happy with the rifle and what it seems like it will be able to do. I'm really looking forward to getting a peep sight closer to my eye. The peep on the barrel has been just really tough for me to see through consistently.