What spares do you keep for you Rossi 92's

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
trekker

What spares do you keep for you Rossi 92's

Post by trekker »

Fellas, long term what wears out fastest on Rossi 92's or what do you like to have on hand. Times like these it gets you thinking about the ability to maintiain guns long term. Interested to hear opinions.
trekker

Re: What spares do you keep for you Rossi 92's

Post by trekker »

Fellas another question from a dumb soldier here with no metalwork knowledge. What is the parts exchangeability between a blued and stainless Rossi? How much of each rifles spares can support the other. Can both metals come into contact with each on the same firearm long term?
Deleted User 5041

Post by Deleted User 5041 »

trekker wrote:Fellas, long term what wears out fastest on Rossi 92's or what do you like to have on hand. Times like these it gets you thinking about the ability to maintiain guns long term. Interested to hear opinions.
You could start with the firing pin, ejector, ejector collar, extractor, and then any other small parts you might accidentally lose under the workbench when taking the gun apart.
Last edited by Deleted User 5041 on 21 Jan 2021 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

trekker wrote:Fellas another question from a dumb soldier here with no metalwork knowledge. What is the parts exchangeability between a blued and stainless Rossi? How much of each rifles spares can support the other. Can both metals come into contact with each on the same firearm long term?
stainless steel next to carbon steel should not be a problem. This is particularly true if they are assembled with grease, oil or thread locker. Thread locker CAN be a problem for disassembly and if you suspect a screw might have been installed with a thread lock compound you may want to heat the screw with a soldering iron before you attempt removal. WARNING stainless steel threads on both fasteners are known to cold weld under very light pressure.

The ejector, ejector collar and the firing pin are the majority of broken parts reports outside of problems with stripped screws. You shouldn't really NEED spares though. The percentage of people having problems with broken parts is probably larger on the Rossi than with a Winchester for example but the percentage is still pretty small.
trekker

Post by trekker »

Thanks Archer, I always feel I should be sending you a consultants fee. You know your stuff and furthermore dont mind taking the time to answer in detail. :)
trekker

Post by trekker »

Thanks as well Keeparms.

What I am thinking of doing is getting a backup gun as well.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Definitely the ejector, the spring on those is WAY too strong for it, and the ejectors aren't very beefy. First thing I do is immediately replace that spring with one of these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trekker

Post by trekker »

Thanks Rondog,I bought some.

And I just lined up a new 20" Stainless Rossi 1892. Took some ringing about to find one, they are scarce at the moment.

Usually I spend some time researching models before buying but I had to move on it.

Though its after the horse has bolted, any thoughts on these 20" stainless CBC versions. Is it a case of the usual Rossi strength and mild roughness? No glaring quality issues or recalls for this specific configuration?